Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Parking Brake doesn't work SOMETIMES (works worse on hills/in drive)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They've gotten cheaper with the labor allowed. I still think its a good idea to remove the axles on a car old enough to need parking brake shoes to allow for diff oil change and an axle inspection. Others may ignore that as they will, but having experienced a rear axle bearing failure in the middle of nowhere, I can tell you its not on my to-do list of repeat adventures.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

My big concern is with people getting ripped off like I did. The big clue for me when I had my parking brake shoes replaced at Crappy Tire should have been the lack of a separate price for fresh fluid under the price for the brake parts. For people who need someone else to mess around with the parking brakes, if someone tells you they have to remove the axles, either make sure they do it if the diff fluid is due for a change or tell them you know perfectly well that it's not necessary and go elsewhere if they won't give you a decent price.

How many miles had your bearing seen?

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
      mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

This was Scott's car but it was right around the 200k point when it failed completely. My car needed axles around 150k. They weren't quite to the point of failure but there were pits in the axle shaft that pointed towards needing attention. Its really the axles more than the bearings. Once that case hard outer layer on the axle shaft starts to separate from the steel underneath it goes pretty quick.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
        X