Front suspension is DONE!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front suspension is DONE!!

After weeks of seized bolts/nuts, missing parts, incorrect parts, etc. I finished the fron. It seem firmer and more solid. I couldn't believe how much the front end got higher. I guess my springs were really sagging in the front.

I need to have a front end alignment cause now the car really pulls to the right and in addition every time i turn the wheel and make a turn, the wheels squeel like crazy. I am hoping the alignment is responsible for this. I got to look for a reputable shop.

In addition with the increase of the front end height, I have noticed the car now has a sloping back rake. SO NOW I NEED TO DO REAR SPRINGS. I already got rear shocks (air) - Monroes. I am hoping that should even it out!
    "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
    -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
    -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
    -2011 Subaru Outback

You do need an alignment. If your tires are squealing they are wearing pretty fast. If you change the rear height it will alter the alignment to some extent.

So if you alter the rear height you may need a new alignment.
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Well im just replacing the old springs with new ones. My tires are still pretty good in the tread department.

If I am just trying to get smooth ride (and restore propper height), should I get these:

Moog 8805

So I should wait for an alignment until i replace the rear springs too?

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
      -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

if you plan to do the springs pretty quick and not drive the car much, sure. If you plan to do that in a couple of months, get it aligned now so you don't wear the tires off the car.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

how would they adjust the camber, i think thats is what is causing the squeeling on turns

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
          -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

those two bolts that hold the bar the upper control arm sits on... they loosen those and slide the arm into a new position in the slots.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

You may want to wait a little while for the new springs to settle as well. just a thought, if they are brand new the front end should lose a little height once the springs settle.
              -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

oh ok, in that case, I cleaned up those real nice for them, it should now be easier for them to adjust!

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

I hope you have a good alignment shop, I've had several bad experiences, including one when i got the car that said they couldn't adjust it because the bolts were rusted and frozen. I went home and tried them myself, one was so loose i could spin it with my fingers, the others were just fine. I ended up aligning it myself when i has access to an alignment rack.
                  -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Yes it does seem what should be a relatively well known and defined process (alignment) is pretty much hit and miss these days. Often a shop will just try to pass of a "toe & go" as an alignment so the tech may not even know how to do a real one.
                    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

I've had bad luck with alignments too. Not feeling like repeating the whole thing again but it took 3 shops before someone just made the car go down the road correctly. The Mark VII still doesn't though. No idea if thats a flukey rack or if the alignment is whacked but it drives fucked up. The truck and the Towncar feel fine though.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

And usually the steering wheel is not straight (even though they just need to use the steering wheel holder that rests on the seat)! Many times I have told the mechanic that and they look at me like I'm from outer space.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

I've had bad luck with dealers aligning these cars... but I know a few shops around me that do a GREAT job aligning these.

Comment

I've had terrible luck with alignments. I've had one Mavis tell me they couldn't do any more camber caster adjustment than they did. (Btw, there's A LOT of adjustment room for that in the upper control arms.. probably more than you would ever need) I had another one tell me they did it perfectly before that. So many shops the alignment printer is "broken but they tried with no luck".

That said, I had three alignments done by various Mavis Discount Tires... when I did the control arm bushings... the caster/camber adjustment bolts have NEVER been moved. Ever. (Or atleast not in maaaany years). All those bastards did was "Toe&Go" and get angry with me when I said something wasn't right.

I ended up going to a local place up in Smithtown and they've got it as close as it's been. Still pulls... but at this point I'm tired and afraid the next guy is going to mess it up worse than it is. I really should just learn how to do this myself.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Congrats!

On alignments, the shop that took many, many hours correctly aligning my old 85 TC said there is a pair of tools that shops used to have handy to do these kind of cars, that they didn't have. Tons of salt, ymmv, etc.

Pete
                              For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
                              1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
                              1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

Working...
                              X