89 TC running really bad when it is cold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

89 TC running really bad when it is cold

Took one of the 89 TCs out for a drive. For the first 8 miles it ran horrible. Missing, bucking. When I got on the interstate it began to run at higher rpms than normal. 60-70 mph without my foot on the gas. When I got out of Sam's club. The car started and ran perfectly. All the way home, no problem. This is my emergency winter car, so I have to find out what the problem is. Taking to a "mechanic" will be a waste of money as they will just throw parts at it.
    I do have a code reader, so I will be checking for codes asap. Does anyone know what the problem is ??

could be an air or water temperature sensor going flukey. That will mess with cold starts and it can also mess with the fuel mix. Stuck IAC could explain the fast driving with no throttle input.

Running hotter than normal could be any of the typical things, stuck thermostat, bad clutch fan, low coolant, clogged radiator, blanket of lint and dead bugs on the front of the radiator, etc. Check the coolant first and go from there.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Could it also be the throttle positioning valve ? It is running about the same temp as normal even though I have a slight leak in the head gasket.

Comment

Possible, but those usually work or they do not. The only time I've ever had one go bad, it set a check engine light when I let off the gas. It hesitated off-idle but was OK otherwise. It didn't change when it warmed up, and it set a code for the TPS too.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
        X