Power steering leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power steering leak

pressure line on my brothers 91 MGM went so I replaced it, but no matter how I put the nut into the rack, it leaks like a civ. All the threads are fine, the line has no holes in it.
    2010 Toyota Camry "Traveller II "
    54,xxx miles. New daily driver
    2001 Lincoln Town Car Signature "Leroy"
    rear cats deleted, 2" h pipe, dual 8" cherry bomb glasspacks
    114k miles. Sold to my coworker.
    1998 Toyota Camry "Traveller"
    Dead and sold.

Where is it leaking from, around the fitting? Its just a double flared connection, no magic to it. The seat on the steering box must be clean, and the flare must be made correctly. The seal is not in the threads, its on the flare face. Sounds like you may have a line that got dinked in shipping or something.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Also make sure to use line wrenches on these fittings. You will surely not get enough out of a normal wrench and the line wrench does tend to slip as well but you will get more from it before it does. I had to get the vice grip out just to give them an extra snug before I called everything done when I last change by steering box and lines.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

or a Metrinch set. No issues with those wrenches holding on when I changed the hoses on my 88.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          Where is it leaking from, around the fitting? Its just a double flared connection, no magic to it. The seat on the steering box must be clean, and the flare must be made correctly. The seal is not in the threads, its on the flare face. Sounds like you may have a line that got dinked in shipping or something.
          Yep, that's where it's leaking from, I pulled it back out to check and there's no flaws with the flare, and it's the same style flare as the old one
          2010 Toyota Camry "Traveller II "
          54,xxx miles. New daily driver
          2001 Lincoln Town Car Signature "Leroy"
          rear cats deleted, 2" h pipe, dual 8" cherry bomb glasspacks
          114k miles. Sold to my coworker.
          1998 Toyota Camry "Traveller"
          Dead and sold.

Comment

dunno then, if the flare is properly made and there is no dirt on the seat that it seals against in the box, it basically has to not leak if its tight enough. A +1 on the flare nut wrenches too, if you aren't using them already. If it just won't, I'd say take the thing back and get another one.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
            X