Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coolant Leak Issue - Photos

Hi everyone

From what I've searched online it looks like the leak is coming form the Intake Manifold. Check the pictures below.
    I think the leak is not that bad. Overnight it made a 3" diameter stain under the engine.
    The oil is not frothy, or how it shouldn't normally be.
    Before any verdict is given, take some time to read the rest of the issues I've had, I think they're all related.

The heating warning was coming on, together with its 13 ear-torturing beeps, after about 15 minutes of drive.
    One of the sensors should be dead, it does not read(-on the dashboard- stays in level one, one dash/line, always), except when the warning was triggered, jumping from level 1 to full.(Could it be that another sensor caught the heating and reported it?)
    Sometimes, the car would lose power, go into safe mode I guess(the dashboard said nothing about it though).
    The engine light came on a few times. Codes were P1285 and P1299.

The heating issue was easily solved by topping off the coolant, which when I first checked the plastic tank it was almost empty.
    The coolant was probably never topped off since the car was made in 98.
    I used to hear the radiator fan go on 5 minutes into the road, now I can drive for 20+ minutes and it remains off, and if it does turn on is not as loud(fast) and it shuts off after a few minutes(it cools off what it needs to cool off?).
    Haven't heard the heating warning since topping off the coolant.

I know the leak is coolant because the leaking area bleeds a translucent orange fluid, just like its coolant color.

Due to the leak's location, it looks like it's related to the IM. I would have to inspect further but I don't have the tools at the moment to even take that plastic cover off.

I'll keep you guys posted on the process, in the meantime, all advice and suggestions are highly appreciated!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20141111_160604.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	1302725

Name:	20141111_160618.jpg
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	1302726

Name:	20141112_103803.jpg
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	1302727

Name:	20141112_103800.jpg
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	1302728

All it takes is a 1/4" drive ratchet to take the cover off.

Your intake manifold gasket is blown.
    Replaced that and you'll be set.
    Also, your coolant shouldn't be orange. Orange is the color of 1. Coolant that hasn't beem flushed in a very long time or 2. DexCool GM garbage coolant that should not be in your car. That stuff eats gaskets.

-ryan s.
    08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
    03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
    97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
    94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
    73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
    12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
    Originally posted by pantera77
    Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

An alternative to a 1/4" drive ratchet is one of those 1/4" drive screwdriver-type tools.

Once you've got the intake off and cleaned the sealing surfaces, you might as well spend some time looking for cracks just in case.

+1 with respect to the coolant shouldn't be orange. Flush it thoroughly and put the green stuff in. And be prepared for radiator and heater core leaks at some point. I'm not saying it will definitely happen, but with coolant that bad, there's a higher likelihood that those components are being eaten away and will develop leaks sooner rather than later.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
      mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Working...
      X