My daily driver: 2004 Buick LeSabre Custom Gran Touring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My daily driver: 2004 Buick LeSabre Custom Gran Touring

This has been my daily driver since June 2013. It's a 2004 LeSabre Custom with the Gran Touring package. This option is quickly recognizable by the rims - unique to the Gran Touring - and I haven't seen another one on the road since I've owned mine. It had about 41k on it when I bought it from my buddy's dad, and has almost 55k on the clock as of now.

Shortlist of features:

3.8L "3800 Series II" V6, 205hp/230lbft
    4-speed 4T65-E trans
    Auto-leveling rear suspension (air shocks)
    Power windows, locks, cruise
    Leather seats, power
    Manual climate control
    AM/FM/CD, no tape

The Y56 Gran Touring package added:
    Unique 16" chromed aluminum wheels
    225/60R16 tires
    Rear stabilizer bar
    3.05 final drive (compared to standard 2.86)

It was a trade-in at the Toyota dealer my buddy's dad drives the shuttle van for, with only 12k on it in 2009. He drove it for 4 years and babied it. He put brand-new Michelin Defenders on and flushed the trans within 3 months of selling - he only let it go because a 2010 Lexus ES350 came in on trade with 20k that was in showroom condition, and he got a smoking deal on it.

Typical GM idiosyncrasies aside, the 3.8 is a rock-solid motor, it drives great and is phenomenal on fuel on the highway. I only picked it up because I know my buddy's dad's ownership history with vehicles (garage-kept, waxed regularly, OCD with maintenance, always OEM parts etc.).

Work I have done, aside from regular maintenance:

- replaced both original front lower control arms with Dorman a few months ago when the bushings started developing play (clunk)
    - replaced the original outer tie rod ends with Moog greaseable when the control arms were done
    - replaced the block heater and coolant when the old one popped out on the highway (apparently a common issue on the 3.8 due to overtightening when installed)
    - replaced flex section of power steering return line, was weeping at swage to hard line

I'd love a Panther daily driver again...but the mileage boost with the 3.8 and proven reliability make it hard to part with.

From last winter: driving in snow = twisted star rims! Unfortunately this is what it will look like here very shortly.

RyPow
    1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX sedan - The "Sand Box" - 73K, towing package
    1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX Tutone Tudor - '96 Explorer 5.0 + 5spd swap in the works
    1985 Lincoln Town Car Cartier - previously owned by "navguy12" from thelincolnforum.net
    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited, 102k, daily driver
    2006 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, 115k, winter beats
    1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car, 42k
    2012 F-150 5.0L 4x4, HD payload pkg (towing/hauling)
    2015 Toyota RAV4 XLE AWD (better half's)

My buddy has an 01 with 140K on it and it is about to puke a transmission. So heads up. My friend and I never really got that big of difference in gas mileage, he got 26 on the highway, I've been able to get 28, his city is 18 and mine was getting 16. And from experience, a 94 TC running on bald tires and 7 cylinders will school that le sabre

Comment

Originally posted by killgore View Post
      My buddy has an 01 with 140K on it and it is about to puke a transmission. So heads up. My friend and I never really got that big of difference in gas mileage, he got 26 on the highway, I've been able to get 28, his city is 18 and mine was getting 16. And from experience, a 94 TC running on bald tires and 7 cylinders will school that le sabr
      For the most part, I've heard of them going a lot further than that. A friend of mine drives one over 50 miles a day and it has 226k on the original transmission. It's only now just starting to have issues downshifting.

My LeSabre can get 30mpg or more on the highway with no headwind. I never got anywhere near that with my mostly stock '02 MGM. The Buick is noticeably better in town, given than it's 400 pounds lighter, and the 3.05 gearing makes it a bit livelier than a regular LeSabre. WOT is surprisingly strong for a V6 full-size, very close to a stock single-exhaust 4.6.
      RyPow
      1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX Tutone Tudor - '96 Explorer 5.0 + 5spd swap in the works
      1985 Lincoln Town Car Cartier - previously owned by "navguy12" from thelincolnforum.net

Comment

Nice!

My girlfriend drives a 2004 Buick LeSabre as well. The thing is pretty quick for its size and gets decent gas mileage. Just finished replacing the brakes and non-existent sway bar end links last week on it.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Originally posted by slack View Post
          Just finished replacing the brakes and non-existent sway bar end links last week on it.
          The end links are a common age item on these cars. Mine are slowly hour-glassing themselves to failure...good thing they're dirt cheap. My car needs brakes soon as well.
          RyPow

Comment

God, I love living in the south. Stuff lasts forever down here. My end links (other than the bushings being replaced) are all original on the beater.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
              God, I love living in the south. Stuff lasts forever down here. My end links (other than the bushings being replaced) are all original on the beater.
              Yes, up here we just love hearing and seeing all that road salt and slush flung through our wheelwells and undercarriage, destroying our investments one day at a time....
              RyPow

Comment

I know huh. /George Lopez

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Nice buick! I've always like them. Not sure if GM fixed the problem with bad valve cover gaskets by that year but the 3.8s are prone to leaking front valve cover gasket and starting a fire.

'93 T-bird
                  '03 Silverado ECSB

Missed:
                  '88 Mark VII
                  '86 CV

Comment

Originally posted by purplebomb302 View Post
                    Not sure if GM fixed the problem with bad valve cover gaskets by that year but the 3.8s are prone to leaking front valve cover gasket and starting a fire.
                    I've actually witnessed such a situation. I was in a Golden Griddle restaurant a few years ago when a Pontiac Grand Prix (~2000 vintage) caught fire out in the parking lot. The young guy who owned it bolted out with the dining area's fire extinguisher, but the flame had already toasted the front plug wires and the coils. There is a very slight amount of oil weep at the edge of the gasket on mine but nothing that would start a fire. I'll keep an eye on it though.
                    RyPow

Comment

Working...
                    X