Aluminum pi intake for npi engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aluminum pi intake for npi engine

Greetings fellow Panthers! I figured that I would do a small write up of sorts for the 4.6L motor. This pertains to the intake manifold for a NPI to PI swap.
    The sources I used are:
    Modular head shop
    mustang forums,
    badshoe
    Because I'm tired of plastic and really, really, really don't like plastic, I found an all aluminum intake manifold.
    **Warning!: This is not a direct bolt-on. Some cleaning of parts, flash casting,and a retorque of bolts is required!
    It is a Procomp peice, for $260 with shipping, ordered from here:speedmaster
    Click image for larger version

Name:	10329767_870482719630537_8481229088285682933_o.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	1302731Click image for larger version

Name:	10682257_870077143004428_2378158456190229056_o.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	1302732Click image for larger version

Name:	10688413_870077176337758_6187987821180342546_o.jpg
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	1302733Click image for larger version

Name:	intake cleaning.jpg
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	1302734

You will need a set of PI intake manifold gaskets. I used a Felpro set. If you have a temp gauge, you will need to get an aftermarket one, or an inline housing like this one.Click image for larger version

Name:	7500-3060_2.jpg
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	1302735
    Also, you'll need a porting bit similar to this one: Click image for larger version

Name:	05-DIY-intake-manifold-porting-carbide-bit.jpg
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	1302736
    You will need to basically knock down the flash casting in the inlet hole and everywhere you can reach. I have also enclosed a picture of areas that I did. I had to extend the wires for the temp sensor for the PCM. I also had to use some of the mounting bolts that came with it (passenger side front and back, and driver's side back bolts) All the other bolts worked well.
    I couldn't locate the other pieces for the underneath, so I used to stockers. I did a little grinding on the back plate, turned out rather well. No leaks, got rid of the plastic for good, and possibly a small increase in torque. It does like to scream after 2k rpm for sure; plus plenty of room for upgrades should the need arise.
    Like I said, I got this intake because I don't like plastic

Anywho enjoy!

-zoomie
    89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Will the stock temp sensor not fit in the crossover? If it doesn't fit there, how did you plug that hole?
    I'm curious and comteplating one.

-ryan s.
    08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
    03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
    97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
    94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
    73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
    12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
    Originally posted by pantera77
    Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Ryan:

Originally posted by zoomie View Post
      If you have a temp gauge, you will need to get an aftermarket one, or an inline housing like this one.[ATTACH=CONFIG]41419[/ATTACH]

-zoomie

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by SVT98t View Post
        Will the stock temp sensor not fit in the crossover? If it doesn't fit there, how did you plug that hole?
        I'm curious and comteplating one.

-ryan s.
        I t is not that it doesnt fit, its the fact there is only one hole for a sensor instead of two, the pictures clearly show that lol.

Comment

What are you gaining going from PI to NPI? Aren't you going a root of restricting more air flow than stock? (Assuming PI was stock, figured it was since you're replacing it.) Making less power in the end? lol

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
          The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
          It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

I probably would still and tap a second hole for the other sensor since that's free.
            Any clearance issues with the heater core return line?

-ryan s.
            08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
            03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
            97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
            94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
            73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
            12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
            Originally posted by pantera77
            Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobcat View Post
              What are you gaining going from PI to NPI? Aren't you going a root of restricting more air flow than stock? (Assuming PI was stock, figured it was since you're replacing it.) Making less power in the end? lol
              Apparently i have to be a little bit more specific. the engine is a NPI, in which i put a PI intake on it. so no i gained power if anything.

Comment

Originally posted by SVT98t View Post
                I probably would still and tap a second hole for the other sensor since that's free.
                Any clearance issues with the heater core return line?

-ryan s.
                There was some, however i fixed that with a bit of grinding on the bottom plate and a little bit of finangleing with the tube, but other than that, good to go.

Comment

Apparently i have to be a little bit more specific. the engine is a NPI, in which i put a PI intake on it. so no i gained power if anything.
                  It also states that it requires pi gaskets..... now how did you get pi to npi? it also clearly states it is a NPI to PI swap.

Comment

It also states that it requires pi gaskets..... now how did you get pi to npi? it also clearly states it is a NPI to PI swap.
                    Well-l-l, the title does say "Aluminum intake-pi to npi swap." I suppose you could argue that it's supposed to read "Aluminum intake-pi to engine-npi swap." ...

Anyhoo, I'm having a hard time figuring out what the third and fourth photos are. The second photo is obviously the aluminum intake manifold. What is it you're doing in the third and fourth photos? I was under the impression that they were modifications that had to be made to the intake manifold itself, but I'm guessing they're not.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
                    mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

The intake is two pieces and that's the bottom half with the smoothing work done.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Originally posted by IPreferDIY View Post
                        Well-l-l, the title does say "Aluminum intake-pi to npi swap." I suppose you could argue that it's supposed to read "Aluminum intake-pi to engine-npi swap." ...

Anyhoo, I'm having a hard time figuring out what the third and fourth photos are. The second photo is obviously the aluminum intake manifold. What is it you're doing in the third and fourth photos? I was under the impression that they were modifications that had to be made to the intake manifold itself, but I'm guessing they're not.
                        here ya go the modifications needed are smoothign out the runners and the middle intake hole.
                        Attached Files

Comment

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
                          mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

could mod change the title so that it says pi intake for npi engine ? thks

Comment

Dun

Comment

Working...
                              X