No announcement yet.

Help with EEC III crank no/rare start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah shes been a real pain in my ass to work on, finding info is damned difficult and a lot of sources mix up their shit with TFIV. Thanks for the help Gadget, its always nice to find knowledge on the interwebs.

It definitely wont jump 1", i had a buddy help and we had to get closer and closer until finally it jumped 1/2". Was a bit underwhelming to be honest.

The dizzy has a flange on the base, it can only be locked down in one way. The rotor is aligned to 1cyl on TDC and the dizzy meshes with the teeth in only two potential ways (neither want to line up perfectly). Tried both and stuck with the soundest option.

Know how to test the ignition module?

Comment

weak spark is more likely to be the coil than the ignition module. Mostly those work or they do not. About the only way I know to really test one is to swap it and see if anything changes. Fairly piss-poor diagnostics but its all I got.

Might be worth checking the voltage that its getting. The ignition system is supposed to bypass the resistor wire when cranking. If thats not hooked up, or the battery is just weak, it won't give you much. Bad plug wires can do this too.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

How do i check the resistor wire? Where can i find it?

Comment

There is probably an ohm spec for it in the manual. Usually though, they're good or burned open. If its got about 9 volts at the coil with the key on, its probably OK. I don't know exactly where it lives on that car. Any chance you've got an EVTM or the factory shop manual for it ? If you don't, I'd get one.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20141214_001[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	1276913

Heres a pic of the rotor at TDC. The dizzy fits the block only one way, the sleeve adapter fits the dizzy only one way, and the dizzy itself is notched giving the rotor only one option. The dizzy and the sleeve both have small notches that have to line up, then of course the rotor will only fit on the dizzy one way, with the arrow lining up with the notches below it. Im assuming this procedure is correct? Maybe the arrow points at #1?

Comment

that one I don't know. I had forgotten you have that retarded rotor on those things. I really don't know where it thinks #1 is.

Comment

Some development at last. Removed the fuel filter and the bitch wasnt pushin fuel. I checked the inertia switch and all the fuses, but where is the fuel pump relay? How should i begin to diagnose the problem? No pressure at the cfi shrader valve

Comment

I think its on the driver's side fender. Thats where it is on an EEC-IV CFI car anyway.

If you have power at the inertia switch, I believe the next stop from there is straight to the fuel pump. If the pump doesn't run, either its dead or the wiring between the switch and the pump is sketchy. The connector should be on the back side of the tank where you cannot access it.

If you don't have proper manuals for this, these are likely close enough

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...ercury-manuals
                  Last edited by gadget73; 01-02-2015, 03:19 AM.

Comment

Dropped the tank and pulled the pump. I hooked it up to a straight 12v source, and the damn thing pumps right away. Voltage at the connector is usually 11.7, but can be unsteady, and ranges from the oddball 5ish volts to 12.4. Either way, the pump shows no signs of life when hooked up to connector. The circuit at the connector and the wiring inside the pump assembly have good continuity, yet i get no volt reading from the pump terminals whenever its hooked up.

The mere fact that i get voltage at the connector means the relay and the fusible link are in working order right? Even tho the pump isnt dead it could still be dieing, considering my starting difficulties a few months ago?

Comment

I have a set of Ford maintenance manuals for 1981, as well as a haynes. The haynes is particularly unreliable for EEC III info.

Comment

If it reads no power with the pump hooked up, but power with no load you have a bad connection. Voltmeters represent almost no load, so even the most marginal connection will make the meter read with no pump hooked up.

The trick now would be finding out whether its the + or - side. Try jumping a ground from the - terminal to a good ground and see if that makes it go. If not, its got to be a connection between the + terminal on the pump and the battery. Between those parts are the fuse link, the relay, and the inertia switch in the trunk, plus the wire and whatever connectors exist in that mess. You'd have to wire the pump up (or use a headlamp, something that represents a reasonable current load) and start chasing things backwards until you find the point where it has power again. The problem will be between that spot and the end of the line.

Comment

Working...
                        X