Does it come off??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does it come off??

On my '86 Tudor MGM. with AOD..........the arm that shifts the trans, the top looks like it is a knurled plastic chrome knob...does that knob un screw?...........the chrome is peeling off and I want to put another one on in its place.

It pulls straight out. You will need to destroy the knob to detach it from all the years of being in place. Replacements are available however may be pricey. You have to match up the grooves when replacing the new one. or else it will not go on right and may have to be destroyed to get it off.
    Hope your tooth gets fixed fast without spending mega bucks.

Comment

Tom, the knob itself.....does it have threads that screw onto the long arm?.....if it just pulls off, how was it secured?
      Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
      It pulls straight out. You will need to destroy the knob to detach it from all the years of being in place. Replacements are available however may be pricey. You have to match up the grooves when replacing the new one. or else it will not go on right and may have to be destroyed to get it off.
      Hope your tooth gets fixed fast without spending mega bucks.

Comment

it's friction fit. no threads. The shift arm has splines that dig into the plastic of the knob. Part number is D9AZ-7213-B

$6 http://www.nospartswarehouse.com/Ite...D9AZ7213B.html

When I replaced the one in the Mark VI, I ordered 2 just to have one for the 88 if I ever fixed up the interior because they're so inexpensive.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I bought an NOS shift lever for my car. Those are simple to change, and the chrome on my handle is so-so. I still haven't put it on. I've owned it, hmm, 3 years now? The one in the car isn't bad like the original was though. That thing could have drawn blood if I wasn't careful.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Gadget "simple" is a relative word! How does it come off?
            Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
            I bought an NOS shift lever for my car. Those are simple to change, and the chrome on my handle is so-so. I still haven't put it on. I've owned it, hmm, 3 years now? The one in the car isn't bad like the original was though. That thing could have drawn blood if I wasn't careful.

Comment

Sly thanks so much, maybe I will order two, just in case I F one up
              Originally posted by sly View Post
              it's friction fit. no threads. The shift arm has splines that dig into the plastic of the knob. Part number is D9AZ-7213-B

When I replaced the one in the Mark VI, I ordered 2 just to have one for the 88 if I ever fixed up the interior because they're so inexpensive.

Comment

If you are not saving it, get a heat gun and get it good 'n warm (watch out for the other interior parts) and then pull it straight off. It will take effort.
                Best way to get the new one on is in the middle of a hot summer day. Put the new knob on the dash in the sun, when its been baking in the sun for a few hours, shove it onto the shift lever, have a block of wood handy to give it a whack if it is very stubborn.

Alex.
                Attached Files

Comment

Guess I'll have to vacation at the home of MiamiBob for the winter, the head back to NY in the spring
                  Originally posted by GM_Guy View Post
                  If you are not saving it, get a heat gun and get it good 'n warm (watch out for the other interior parts) and then pull it straight off. It will take effort.
                  Best way to get the new one on is in the middle of a hot summer day. Put the new knob on the dash in the sun, when its been baking in the sun for a few hours, shove it onto the shift lever, have a block of wood handy to give it a whack if it is very stubborn.

Alex.

Comment

to change the whole lever, you remove the shrouds from the column and remove the single pin that holds it in. It requires a light tap with a hammer and a punch to knock it out of the hole. Same to re-install.
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I used a pair of vice grips... clamped onto the crusted up one... then used a hammer to tap on the vice grips to get it off. heat gun would work better. Used a rubber mallet to bang the new one on the arm with a rag over it to keep from scuffing it up.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

my real fear of doing this with it on the car is that the column would break. That stuff is all just cast aluminum, not the strongest material and not very good about shock loads. All of the load is supported through one small (3/16" or so) pin through a part of the casting that doesn't have a whole lot of material between that pin and the edge. I can definitely see that breaking apart.

Comment

yeah... I was scared about that myself, but I took the chance. I like the heat gun idea. Might be worth a shot with the new one to help "loosen" it up a bit to get it on easier.

Comment

Thanks Sly for that link!! What a deal. Last ones I bought were nos Ford. Seen them on E Bay for $$. Changing the whole lever is the way to go if you can get a good deal.

Originally posted by sly View Post

Comment

Thanks, I will wait for summer to do this, now snowing in NYC, this winter sheet is finally getting to me:-( Btw, you may have read I put KYB shocks on my '86 Tudor.......man what a great difference and ride
                              Originally posted by GM_Guy View Post

Alex.

Comment

Working...
                              X