No announcement yet.

Transmission shudder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The torque converter shudder is caused by the fluid breaking down. Its not actually a bad part, its just what causes it to shake like that. The fix for torque converter shudder is Mercon V. Tapping the brakes would just be a quick test to figure out whether thats the problem or not.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

all good advice, drain it all out and mercon V and the stuff sly was talking about and you should be good.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I will be changing the tranny fluid this weekend. Are the procedures the same for changing this tranny fluid ot the AOD?

Drain converter oil? 40ft/lbs torque to button that up?

Tranny pan 8ft lbs?

Mercon V?
        "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
        -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
        -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
        -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Yes, same procedure, same fluid. Not sure about torque specs, but I would imagine those numbers are close to correct.
          Nick

Past: 1967 Continental convertible, 1987 TC Cartier, 1996 TC DAE & Signature, 2002 LS V8, 2006 Zephyr, 2010 MKZ AWD, and many more.....
          Current: 2010 F-150 Platinum Supercrew 4x4
          Wanted: 1967 or 1969 Contnential sedan
          Only in my dreams: A Continental Mark II

Comment

Is it still 13 quarts too?

I found a tranny pan for this model too that has an oil plug. Dorman makes it(97 Lincoln town car)

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
            -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

It's basically an AOD with electronics added... so yeah. Should be the same torque specs too, but wait for someone to confirm that for sure.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by porschpow View Post
                Is it still 13 quarts too?

I found a tranny pan for this model too that has an oil plug. Dorman makes it(97 Lincoln town car)
                Dunno, check the owners manual or service manual for capacity.
                Nick

Past: 1967 Continental convertible, 1987 TC Cartier, 1996 TC DAE & Signature, 2002 LS V8, 2006 Zephyr, 2010 MKZ AWD, and many more.....
                Current: 2010 F-150 Platinum Supercrew 4x4
                Wanted: 1967 or 1969 Contnential sedan
                Only in my dreams: A Continental Mark II

Comment

Make certain the tranny pan you found is the same capacity as the OEM or obviously that will throw the capacity off. Something that is easy to forget...

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

You're not likely to get the full amount in there. It holds right around 12 if bone dry, but I'd be surprised if you get much over 10 in there on a service.
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

the dorman has a plug in it, but it looks like it has a extra little belly on it

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                      -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Ok, I ordered the pan it came in, has a plug...awesome!

Rubber gasket came in, and it says to use grease, not rubber....weird i thought you weren't suppose to use grease on rubber. it says hand tighten to 80 in lbs, then use 120 in lbs, pretty consistent.

I will buy 13 qts of mercon V.

It came with a tranny filter, weird looking thing, It has a threaded hole and a hole with a straight edge, def nothing like the aod filter. ANYWAY, it says use any gasket for the filter. well one was not provided. what are they talking about. I just have the tranny filter with the open ended holes, tranny pan gasket, tranny pan and oil.

What else am I missing?

And in addition, how many foot lbs does it take to tighten the torque converter plug?

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                        -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Rubber gasket goes on dry or with a little lube to prevent binding during compression which I'd what I think they are referring to with the grease mentioned.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                          Originally posted by gadget73
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                          Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I think I'd be using a wipe of transmission fluid, not grease. Transmissions don't exactly like foreign materials. Trans assembly lube if you must, but not wheel bearing grease or the like.

Comment

Ok, I ordered the pan it came in, has a plug...awesome!

What is the torque spec of tightening the torque converter plug

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                              -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

tight, don't rightly know. My book isn't handy.

Comment

Working...
                                X