No announcement yet.

Transmission shudder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have seen specs of 8-28 ft pounds which is a PRETTY big range!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Plug: tighten so it can't leak, but not enough to strip it out
      Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
      Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Whenever I do anything that might require me to look something up, I get both the Haynes and Chilton's manuals from the public library. I don't have them handy now, but the following Autozone page indicates 21-23 ft-lbs around the middle of the page, item 2 under "To install" (though I'm not saying that is indeed the right number):

http://www.autozone.com/repairinfo/r...96b43f802e69a9

FWIW, when I did mine, I tightened it without a torque wrench to a depth that I was comfortable with, and it went a lot deeper when I did it to the right torque with a torque wrench. For me, this is one of those things that you want to use a proper torque wrench on.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
        mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

It is actually caused partly by the fluid and partly by the accumulator pistons. The stock ones have o rings which leak and don't apply the pressure as evenly.
          Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Try lubeguard black .one bottle per trans fluid change

Comment

Well guys. Thanks for all your help.

I changed the fluid, took about 11-12 quarts (oddly enough)

Shudder is gone!

You guys are the best!
              "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
              -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
              -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
              -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

I tightened the pan down to 80 inch lbs first, then 120 inch lbs

TC plug 20 ft lbs

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Originally posted by porschpow View Post
                  Well guys. Thanks for all your help.

I changed the fluid, took about 11-12 quarts (oddly enough)

Shudder is gone!

You guys are the best!
                  You add lubeguard

Comment

no, didn't have to ad lubegaurd, just 12 quarts of mercon V Castrol Transmax

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                    -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

There should already be enough friction modifiers in Mercon V so no need for Lubeguard.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by miamibob View Post
                        There should already be enough friction modifiers in Mercon V so no need for Lubeguard.
                        This.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                        Originally posted by gadget73
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                        Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The Lubeguard basically converts Mercon/Dexron III into Mercon V. Or it replenishes modifiers in fluid that probably should be changed anyway. Fresh fluid of the right type fixes the problem.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                            The Lubeguard basically converts Mercon/Dexron III into Mercon V. Or it replenishes modifiers in fluid that probably should be changed anyway. Fresh fluid of the right type fixes the problem.
                            This. It's a cheap bandaid you can use while saving up for the possible rebuild if a fluid/filter change doesn't solve it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                            Originally posted by gadget73
                            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                            Originally posted by dmccaig
                            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I was very fortunate but nonetheless glad I did this, I am plenty happy with the shifting. And many thanks to you guys for your endless help!

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                              -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Working...
                              X