No announcement yet.

1975 Ford Maverick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Better granny shift it, the T5 doesn't like to hold up in a stock HO fox let alone a mild build like that. Not that I ever slam gears, I'm too afraid and cheap to abuse my cars.
    88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
    Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

If you don't slam the gears, they do OK. Add a shifter with stops and its even better.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Cool car you picked up Phil. Be careful in it.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Burnouts. Where are the burnouts, Phil.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
          The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
          It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
            If you don't slam the gears, they do OK. Add a shifter with stops and its even better.
            The B&M in my 87 had them, made a secure click into each gear, I loved that.
            88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
            Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Thanks Thain! That routing will work.

I'm usually nice to my man trans, although I do occasionally like to shift pretty fast. I'll look into a shifter with stops, assuming it doesn't have one already, there are adjustable bolts in place that stop it in both directions, but i'm not sure that's what you mean.

The past few days I've been doing what I can. Ripped the interior out, de-rusted the floors, filled a few small pin holes with metal filler, primed, paint. Drying out the carpet and such. Thinking about installed sound deadening, but don't want to spend the money...

Just ordered a bunch of parts, including weather stripping for the doors and window channels (SO cheap compared to box stuff, and you can actually find it easily!!) Going to remove the windshield and re-seal it (the house silicone the previous owner used with a new rubber seal did NOT work well...)

Big plans for tuning it, and getting it up to snuff for use as a daily driver.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2838.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	1276787Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2839.jpg
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	1276788Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2841.jpg
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	1276789Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2845.jpg
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	1276790Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2848.jpg
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	1276791Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2850.jpg
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	1276792Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2851.jpg
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	1276793Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2853.jpg
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	1276794Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2854.jpg
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	1276795Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2855.jpg
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	1276796
              Last edited by Brown_Muscle; 11-30-2014, 09:02 PM.
              -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

those are probably shifter stops then. If they physically stop the shift handle, thats what they are. Basically it keeps you from over-throwing the gear lever and breaking the forks. The synchros are still a bit of a weak point if you slam through the gears too quickly but there isn't a ton you can do about that short of just not forcing it into gear when it doesn't want to go.

That ECM has to go somewhere else. Attaching cupholders to the top of it is probably not going to work out well. Also, wiring mess.
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

That looks not-so-bad. I almost bought a maverick, stock 71-72 with a 302, way back when. Rustier than yours, didn't run, and I was 17. Probably for the best.

You going to keep the wheel and tire package or go for something a bit more all around/street friendly? With some stiffer suspension and serious all-around performance tires I bet it'd be a lot easier to flog on the street. But it looks fun as a cheap, bare-bones rocket too.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                  160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                  waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Ugh that wiring. How can people do such hack jobs? I just don't understand. Vampire taps all over, relays laying around on the floor, wires all over.

I love that car but I'd be ripping all that out and starting from scratch.
                    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                      That ECM has to go somewhere else. Attaching cupholders to the top of it is probably not going to work out well. Also, wiring mess.
                      I suggested making a box for the front of the trans tunnel to keep the ecm and wiring in. Before they had it tucked up in the carpet that was drenched with water...

Comment

Nice project. I really like the 6th picture of CV's parked across the street.

Packman

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                          I suggested making a box for the front of the trans tunnel to keep the ecm and wiring in. Before they had it tucked up in the carpet that was drenched with water...
                          whats wrong with that? As long as its protected by carpet, you can get it wet

I'd stick a console in there and hide the ECM in that. Arm rest, ECM hider, and cupholders all in one. Win.

Comment

Yes the wiring is a mess, I plan on rectifying the installers mistakes...and installing the ECM in a better location, and yes it also needs some cup holders..hehe.

Looking into 17" Bullitt rims with some spacers. It needs new tires BADLY, it has a hard time getting traction to the rear wheels.
                            -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
                              Yes the wiring is a mess, I plan on rectifying the installers mistakes...and installing the ECM in a better location, and yes it also needs some cup holders..hehe.

Looking into 17" Bullitt rims with some spacers. It needs new tires BADLY, it has a hard time getting traction to the rear wheels.
                              That'll look a lot better.

... Who needs traction? Spinning tires are better than non spinning..

Glad you're doing alot of work on it to prevent it from rotting away. Those floors looked like they didn't have much longer.. Was there just pools of water in the floor pans for long periods of time? lol.

Oh hey! John!
                              Last edited by Bobcat; 12-02-2014, 09:58 AM.
                              __________________________________________________

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
                              The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
                              It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobcat View Post
                                Oh hey! John!
                                Oh hello, Friend...

Comment

Working...
                                X