Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks good
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Finally got some primer on the panel! Let me tell you...epoxy primer is TOUGH STUFF. Next is a thin layer of filler, filler primer, then a temporary top coat. I can almost smell the scent of burning rubber again...or maybe that's all the chemicals i'm using.

Attached Files
      -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Chemicals are fun. Extra fun is disposing of the cleaning solvent. I use fire, shit burns like no tomorrow.
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

You are barely going to need filler man, looks great.

I am putting quarter skins on my 68 Mustang. You butt welded yours I see. Are you using a MIG or TIG? Do you suggest this method?
          1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
          1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
          Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
          Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

We can have a party Thain! A burning shit party...

Thanks Tiggie. It will take some filler, it's definitely not perfect, how much...I'll find out tomorrow, definitely less than 1/8", probably closer to 1/16" in most areas.

Older mustangs are nice, you can actually find reasonably priced, well made sheetmetal for them, unlike a maverick. I use a MIG, Hobart 140. I wish I could TIG weld, or afford a TIG machine! If you want the repair to last, always butt weld. Lap welds are an invitation for corrosion down the line, and it just doesn't look factory. Butt welding is a bit harder, but after 4 months of doing it I got pretty good. Is this your first go at sheetmetal repair of this nature?
            -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

Comment

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
              We can have a party Thain! A burning shit party...

Thanks Tiggie. It will take some filler, it's definitely not perfect, how much...I'll find out tomorrow, definitely less than 1/8", probably closer to 1/16" in most areas.

Older mustangs are nice, you can actually find reasonably priced, well made sheetmetal for them, unlike a maverick. I use a MIG, Hobart 140. I wish I could TIG weld, or afford a TIG machine! If you want the repair to last, always butt weld. Lap welds are an invitation for corrosion down the line, and it just doesn't look factory. Butt welding is a bit harder, but after 4 months of doing it I got pretty good. Is this your first go at sheetmetal repair of this nature?
              It is my first rodeo on this scale. I already put new floors, new shock towers, new right fender aprons in front, and a little patchwork around the gas tank area, and a right door skin. Quarters are the major thing left, but are something that people will be able to see so I need to do a good job. Hope mine comes out as good as yours!
              1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
              1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
              Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
              Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

When you're done you can practice on a Lincoln rear quarter.

Comment

Painted the quarter with cheap paint, and i've been driving it. Did some more tuning with John, and i'm getting 25-26MPG on the highway consistently (I always check on fillups). So i'm very pleased with that!

Just started ripping apart the front suspension today. Excluding the one control arm i replaced last year, every single ball joint had play in it, as did both upper control arm shafts. My one strut rod was bent, so I'm replacing that. Basically the entire front suspension will be new. I plan on moving the spring perches outwards 3/4", this is supposed to artificially raise the spring rate about 100 pounds, a cheap way to get a firmer ride! Once it's back together and aligned it will be like a new car!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1073.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	187.4 KB
ID:	1280230Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1074.jpg
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	1280231Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1079.jpg
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	1280232Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5498.jpg
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	1280233
                  Last edited by Brown_Muscle; 05-25-2016, 08:14 PM.
                  -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Color match is dead nutz!

Seriously the entire car in the new color would look fantastic!

You did some fantastic work. Props to John on the tune.
                    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                      Seriously the entire car in the new color would look fantastic!
                      Told him the same thing few weeks ago Great minds think alike and all that...
                      The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                      The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

I thought I had updated this more recently...

She got a new carpet, fixed some HVAC wiring so I have more than 1 blower motor speed. Rebuilt the steering system, and got a much better alignment. It no longer yanks me all over the place due to shitty caster settings. I put porterfield R4-S pads on the front, it stops better, and I couldn't get them to fade like they used to (I tried)

Oh yeah, and the custom designed and cut decal for the hood. (see Pix)

I also got another door, and passenger side quarter panel (replacement to start soon)

I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting, just driving it a lot, every day just about. To CT, NY, PA, lots of miles.

John did some more tuning (I helped as much as I could) and I put a Screen in front of my MAF. I highly recommend it for tuning, it really smoothed out the MAF readings!

I just did a fillup, went from 12-13MPG around town, to 16. Very pleased.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6224.jpg
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	1281038Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6234.jpg
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	1281039Click image for larger version

Name:	15328387_10157792640960392_1941226106_n.jpg
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	1281040Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4770.jpg
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	1281041Click image for larger version

Name:	13902819_10157226671300392_6421100199631366139_n.jpg
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	1281042
                        -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Sweet!!!

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

Man, those cars look so good without the dumpy later bumpers. Nice job.
                            '91 LTD Country Squire LX | '82 Cougar GS wagon |'03 Marauder | ' 18 Flex Limited EB
                            formerly: '02 MGM, '04 MGM, '04 MGM v2.0, '04 MM, '07 P71 w/5-speed, '03 SAP P71, '04 CVLX (now in pantera77's stable), '10 P7B

Comment

Looks like window screen? Some MAF have a screen in there from the factory, though off the top of my head I don't know if Fords did. I know my S10's MAF has one. Hm, wonder if the output of a Chevy mass air sensor can be adapted to a Ferd ECM.

Comment

Thanks Adam.

it IS window screen, that's pretty much what they put in some of the stock units. Almost all later models have either a screen, or honeycomb in front of the maf. John just got a new stock intake tube from a 2004? crown vic, and it has a built in honeycomb structure in it. I'm sure you could make the s10 work if you really wanted to, as long as it has 5V reference signal.
                                -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X