Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

flip out head unit in an 88, success or fail?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

flip out head unit in an 88, success or fail?

i have a head unit and install kit with a flip up screen i'd like to put in my 88 colony park. my concern is that with how far the radio is situated into the center stack that the screen will not come out far enough to clear the dash / trim above it. anyone here have something like this installed or any direct experience before i start taking the car apart? thanks in advance.

Can you show us a picture of what of unit you have ?

Comment

It fits perfectly with the dash trim off, with it on it doesn't sit perfectly straight but I used it for navigation on my long highway journey tis summer and it does its job as it should. With the screen all the way out it's just slightly off vertical, not a big deal really.
      There was a member installing a real double din into a box, required some cutting and no final install pics but it did fit.
      Is your dash trim like this?

The screen hits that ridge at the top of the woodgrain, I know they used a flatter dash trim but not sure when it changed.
      Last edited by BlackVic_P71; 11-28-2014, 11:26 AM.
      1989 Country Squire - Twilight Blue, 347 stroker

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Comment

I can see the screen very clearly, I'm not trying to input an address while in motion anyway.

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Comment

it would be something like this;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Camera-7-And...item1c4023f20e

my dash trim does not look like yours

Comment

i thought some people switched the radio with where heat and a/c controls are before
            Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

Originally posted by 87_crown_vic View Post
              i thought some people switched the radio with where heat and a/c controls are before
              Then the knobs on the heater controls would hit the back of the screen, right?

Comment

Working...
              X