1996 Trans Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1996 Trans Issue

I have a 1996 Grand Marquis I have had some issues with the GM and I'm working through them, I was driving on the highway at about 69 mph and had noise and lurch that felt like I dropped a gear down. I took it to a mechanic that I have done a lot of work with, and he hooked it up to a scan tool to see what the trans was doing while driving. It showed that 1st solenoid was opening and closing as well as 2nd but 3rd solenoid was not doing anything just stayed off, so now I have it going in to have the pan pulled and new solenoid added. Some questions that I have would I not have a light come on if that was the case, I do not have an OD light on.

nope. It would only trigger the light if the solenoid was shorted or open. If it's just not working but has the same general resistance as before, it wouldn't trigger a light.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I had the trans serviced about 3 weeks ago and have been driving it with no issues, I was taking it up north for my daughters hockey tournament I was doing 65mph and had a thump felt the same as before not a shudder but a bump, thump just one time. I was just driving with just light pressure on the gas pedal, road was flat and I was not driving it hard. Is this trans related or should I be looking at something else.
      Last edited by kevin67; 01-12-2015, 10:31 PM.

Comment

if cruising... I would suspect something else for a single event. Like a minor misfire.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by kevin67 View Post
          I had the trans serviced about 3 weeks ago and have been driving it with no issues, I was taking it up north for my daughters hockey tournament I was doing 65mph and had a thump felt the same as before not a shudder but a bump, thump just one time. I was just driving with just light pressure on the gas pedal, road was flat and I was not driving it hard. Is this trans related or should I be looking at something else.
          I'd be looking for what I ran over....LOL!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Road was clear, happened again tonight coming home doing 50mph same symptoms as before flat road and partial throttle

1st time was Thursday night.
            Last edited by kevin67; 01-12-2015, 11:09 PM.

Comment

I agree with sly. Wonder if it is engine related, such as a misfire. When my buddies '99 marquis had a dying COP. it would randomly "buck" and "kick" under moderate throttle.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
              1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
              1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
              2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
              2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Working...
              X