Police cluster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
    They also had the 21 gallon gas tank, which never ran low.
    I disassembled the cluster and cut the holes out for the lights with a dremel. It wasn't the prettiest. But it works. It houses the low fuel light, and the ABS light on my 86.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
      I disassembled the cluster and cut the holes out for the lights with a dremel. It wasn't the prettiest. But it works. It houses the low fuel light, and the ABS light on my 86.
      Pic-tastic!

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
        If you are dying of curiosity, the story involves an incredibly chatty individual who will gladly talk your ear off about box gas tanks (especially the elusive 18? or 20? gallon tank) to the point you become nauseous... I've already said too much
        Have you seen my posts? I can't say anything without first telling a story haha.
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

As far as I know, the 90 and 91 5.8L Police package Vics were the only ones that got the "Low Fuel" light. It's also a completely different cluster (and sending unit) than the previous models. There were also no CEL lights on the carb'ed version cars.

Comment

I have a 91CV, it's not a police car. In fact it was the cheapest, bottom of the line CV available in 91.
            And it has a Low Fuel light, which I've always considered an insult. I know when I have low fuel and don't really need some light to
            tell me that.

Comment

Originally posted by mcninetyone View Post
              I have a 91CV, it's not a police car. In fact it was the cheapest, bottom of the line CV available in 91.
              And it has a Low Fuel light, which I've always considered an insult. I know when I have low fuel and don't really need some light to
              tell me that.
              FWIW, my 2000 MGM has a warning tone that goes off when the "Distance to Empty" hits 80km, 40km, and 20km. I don't like driving around the city with lots of gas, so that tone can be a HUGE annoyance.
              Last edited by IPreferDIY; 12-07-2014, 01:38 AM.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
              mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

that would annoy the hell outta me. I like the idiot light because I like to do full tank runs and keep track of mileage and the idiot light is not really obtrusive that way(helps me gauge my car's condition as well - decent mileage means doin good... bad mileage means something needs fixed).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The pics in this thread are of a 140 mph police car instrument panel (1989 and back). I also don't remember the 5.0 (1989 and back) police package cars getting the low fuel light or CEL either.
                  I didn't mean to state that only Police Package cars got the low fuel light in 90 and 91 (my poor choice of words).

Comment

Originally posted by mcninetyone View Post
                    tell me that.
                    I said the same thing and then when I road tripped in my Fury I was once caught off guard by how low the fuel level was, just wasn't paying attention to it as the road & people on it were my primary focus. So a light that would've popped on would have alerted me ahead of time.
                    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

If you swap in a 140mph speedo on a 89 or earlier EFI Panther you will need to swap the printed circuit from your 85mph speedo and all of the bulbs in order to pull codes. For years I was not able to pull codes and I could not figure out why. Once I checked the wiring schematics online I then realized that the CEL completes the circuit. Prior to realizing my issue if I tried to pull codes on my car it would only go as far as the relays being checked and then the long audible beep that did nothing else. I never had issues getting codes from any other fords of that era other than mine. In the same instance if the alternator bulb blows you will have charging issues. As far as pulling codes goes a scanner or test light will pull the codes it just all has to be done from under the hood at the test connector.

Comment

Working...
                      X