No spark after distributor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No spark after distributor

Hey guys. I'm having a no start issue with Anabelle, I think it's the cold haha. Any she has spark at the cap, new cap and rotor, new TFI module - - and still no spark at the spark plug. I tried installing a complete reman distributor and she still did the same thing - cranks and cranks no fire at all. I am suspecting the EEC-IV computer has crapped out.

My question is will the engine run if the ECM is fried, and what does the TFI get from the ECM, power? ground? both? Thanks!
    1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

no, it won't.the ECM controls the injectors so you basically have a no fuel issue. I would verify that the fuel pump is running. If the fuel pump isn't running and jumping the fuel pump relay doesn't help either (as it's also controlled by the ECM) you may be right in thinking the ECM let some magic smoke out. If the pump acts like normal (short 1-2 second hum with key on engine off) check for fuel pressure. If you don't have any pressure at the fuel rail, either the pump is clogged (sucked the sock) or the fuel filter is clogged.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The ECM can be missing and you will have spark. If you have no spark, its not the computer. The only thing the TFI module gets from the ECM is spark advance. Pull the SPOUT, and it gets absolutely nothing. There is output from the pickup through the TFI of that signal, which the ECM uses to fire the injectors.

Just out of curiosity, do you have spark off the coil? If you have spark there, but nothing at the wire, it sounds like a bad rotor.

If you've got zip either way, see if you have +12v to the coil. If the wire broke, you'll get jack squat. If that is good, see if you have pulsing +12v on the other side of the coil. If you have no pulse, just constant power, you have an open somewhere between the coil and the TFI. If nothing at all, you probably have an open coil primary.

Honestly there isn't much to the ignition system. There is +12v to the coil, +12v to the run connection on the TFI, and +12v to the crank power connection on the TFI. If the coil is good and it has power, make sure you have power on the two TFI pins. One you check with the key just set to "on", the other one you will need someone to crank the engine to test.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Resolved! Never doubt the importance of a good tune up. I went through so much hassle because I ignored the most basic tune up items causing a no-start. The copper plugs were gone, way too much gap. The cap was melted where the rotor button touches it, and the rotor edge itself was burnt. Also all 8 of the contacts on the cap were completely burnt and toasted, after only 2 years and 10,000 miles. Once I verified TDC on 1 and set the distributor in with a new set of plugs, cap and rotor, she ran fine.

Anabelle sits these days a lot, because she gets horrible gas mileage, and I haven't had the time to figure out why, or convert to MAF, or tune that engine. It was built by a drag racing shop so it's probably set up more for a carb and max power than gas mileage anyway.
        Last edited by 89LincolnTWNcar; 12-23-2014, 09:54 PM.
        1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

Comment

melted plugs are often a sign of running lean. Sounds counter-intuitive but running lean can cause poor mileage because it makes less power than it should. I picked up some fuel economy when I converted mine to mass air and got the a/f ratio somewhere close to correct. Made more power too.

The other dead parts are probably because of the dead plugs. Too much gap there makes all the rest of the parts work a lot harder.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Gadget, remember my last time in PA back in 2008? when we went over car i drove in, the cap was messed up? the prongs for the wires pulled right out . . good thing it was warranteed since it was a new part i bought before i made the 1200 mile trip . . only issue i have had with accel cap & rotor and now i always check the caps for loose parts
            Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

That would make sense, I have a ton of air going in the engine due to the different pistons with valve reliefs, cobra intakes and 65mm tb and the gt40 III bar heads...and on 19lb injectors and the old SD Mark VII computer just might not be enough. I have an A9L and a conversion harness in the garage... need to get on that!

Comment

yeah, you probably gave it more air than the stock ECM can handle. I had the same problems with ported heads and the Explorer intake on my car. I've seen it with P heads and Explorer intakes on others. I know most people say that those changes are not beyond what the SD brain can deal with, but that has not been my experience nor that of some other people. Then again you get the occasional one that works brilliantly without any special bullshit. I don't get it.

Comment

Working...
                X