Fuel injector folly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel injector folly

When I was taking off the injectors to soak in 2+2 (GET THE GUM OUT) I dropped an injector and upon looking at it, there is a plastic like lip that runs the circumference of the injector that cracked, the edge of the lip itself cracked off, but the rest of the injector is ok. AM I OK? Can I still use the injector?????
    "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
    -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
    -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
    -2011 Subaru Outback

Pic?

-ryan s.
    08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
    03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
    97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
    94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
    73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
    12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
    Originally posted by pantera77
    Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

I'll have to send it tonight when I get home. It is not the orange part (body) of the injector, but its like an opaque color plastic lip that runs around the edge of the injector side (where is sprays the fuel_

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
      -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Here's a link to a photo showing that area (not the exact injector, but you get the idea):

http://www.carid.com/images/standard...ry/fj78t-2.jpg

Here's an injector that might be the same:

http://images.oreillyauto.com/parts/...p/fj10236a.jpg

I think it might be just an o-ring retainer and might be replaceable, but not sure. A fuel injector should be fairly cheap at a U-pull if you're near one.
        Last edited by IPreferDIY; 12-01-2014, 01:19 PM.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
        mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

thanks, it's the white part, the part that retains the o-ring is not harmed, it is the part that is on the end

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
          -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Its the pintle cap. You can get injector rebuild kits that come with 2 O rings, the white plastic spacer ring, and the cap over the end for a couple bucks at most places. The O rings and spacer are obvious enough, and the cap just pushes on. Some of the later injectors don't have the plastic spacer, just the 2 O rings and the end cap. Not sure which style yours uses.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I didn't get a chance to take a pic, but I have the o rings, I am just hoping I don't have to replace the cap

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
              -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

I guess the two big issues would be:
                1. whether the cap affects the spray pattern etc (I have no idea), and
                2. whether the cap is on secure enough so that it doesn't get sucked into the cylinder.
                Last edited by IPreferDIY; 12-02-2014, 03:01 PM.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
                mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

the crack won't affect anything. The o-ring is above it and the seat is smaller than the injector so it gets sandwiched nicely between the intake and fuel rail (there's nothing holding it up, so the hole in the intake is smaller than the end of the injector but opens up above that for seating the o-ring). It'll be fine. My theory is that the cap is there to prevent the metal of the injector corroding to the aluminum intakes and to prevent them from causing vibration burns in the plastic intakes.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

the caps usually fall apart when changing the o-rings, having one cracked is gonna make things difficult.
                    it's a good idea to order cap kits

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I can't find these car kits on rockauto, is it like a dealer only thing?

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                      -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Here's a few examples:

http://www.summitracing.com/int/part.../grand-marquis

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...2524&ppt=C0024

http://www.ebay.com/itm/V8-5-4L-4-6L...ffc25f&vxp=mtr

When I checked the fordparts.com site for my car, it only listed the o-rings. Not sure what that means. No photos there.
                        Last edited by IPreferDIY; 12-04-2014, 09:10 AM.

Comment

I expect if you went to the parts store with a BWD number they can find you one. I've gotten Fel Pro branded ones before, but its probably all about the same.

Also not likely a dealer thing. They would sell you a new injector. The repair kits are for the cheap among us who just want to throw a couple bucks at a minor issue to fix it, not spend a bunch of money on an injector set that is not likely needed.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

WOW $10 for two lousy o rings and two lousy pieces of plastic, lol whatever

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                            -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Up here, you can get a whole injector at a U-pull for less than $10CDN including taxes.

Comment

Working...
                              X