Thinking of buying an 81 Lincoln Mk vi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking of buying an 81 Lincoln Mk vi

Hi from Canada. There's an 81 Lincoln Mk vi 4 door for sale that I'm thinking of buying. No rust, everything on it still works. The original variable venturi carb was replaced with a Motorcraft 2150. The problem with the car is that the gas pedal is very stiff. You really have to push down hard to get it to move. When you remove your foot it springs back, it does not stick. Any ideas what this could be? The other thing is I tested it on a very rough. bumpy road that had hundreds of little holes like golf divots in it. The Mk vi soaked up all the bumps nicely but at about 35 mph the body of the car developed a very loud booming/resonating noise. I don't think it was the differential, the tires were all pretty new, it had new shocks and rode nicely. Is this just the limitations of the solid axle on a very rough road?

The return springs on the carb are too stiff probably. Replace with easier springs or if there's 2, remove one.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

a bit of rust on the end of the throttle cable will do this too. It should be a clip type thing that pops over a ball stud. A couple minutes with a wire brush and a daub of grease sorted this out for me on my car.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks for the quick replies!

Comment

It definitely should not be making any odd noises at any time... the MKV is a 'box panther' just like most of our cars and are quiet as can be (when in good shape). Being a Lincoln, they got lots more sound insulation along with the extra seat padding and fancy trim should be even quieter.

Can you describe the noise a little better/differently? The more detail on exactly when it does it, the better.
          Is this a constant or erratic noise? Does it do it at all over smooth road? Does it make the same or other noise just over a single bump?
          You mentioned you don't think its the tires or rear end - usually their noises are pretty constant and change volume or pitch with speed. Does it sound like it's coming from the rear?
          Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
          sigpic
          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by Caddy View Post
            The other thing is I tested it on a very rough. bumpy road that had hundreds of little holes like golf divots in it. The Mk vi soaked up all the bumps nicely but at about 35 mph the body of the car developed a very loud booming/resonating noise.

Bah, I didn't read this bit close enough...

If you only hear this noise over this road, it's probably just the road. It sounds like you are describing a finer grade cobblestone road, and any cobblestone roads I've been on in any car will definitely produce a terrible vibrate-y/roaring sound at normal cruising speeds. Sounds kinda like what you hear/feel from monster-truck style off road tires going down the road.
            Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
            sigpic
            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Where in Canada?
              '79 Continental Town Car
              '90 Crown Victoria LTD
              '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

It was a buzzing, humming sound not from the tires but from the body itself especially towards the rear of the vehicle. It was loud enough to require speaking louder and I know Lincolns are very quiet cars. I didn't drive on any smooth roads but on the same road my 05 Cadillac Deville was much quieter. However with my Deville I felt every single bump, crack and pothole whereas the Mk vi was so smooth I could not feel a thing.

Comment

I'm in Manitoba.

Comment

Humming & buzzing.. I'm gonna guess that something in the rear end is amiss. Bearings and stuff can cause that kind of behavior, look at the diff and inspect for leakage. Could be that it ran itself out of oil or that it has decided to quit. Though not the same deal my Ranger's carrier bearing decided to quit and man, that was loud & caused the truck to vibrate a bit at certain speeds.
                    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

does sound like diff problems. Low oil level will cause the parts back there to self-destruct. Not entirely sure what would have been in an 81, but I'll guess its a Ford 8.5. Same thing as an 8.8 essentially, just a slightly smaller ring gear. Changing the ring gear makes it an 8.8, same housing and carrier and such.
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks for all the input. I now have to decide whether to buy the Mk vi ($2500, everything on it works, no rust) and do a possible diff rebuild as well as the other inevitable repairs. When I was there I did look at the diff and there were no leaks. Another way to describe the sound is if you were to hold a sheet of cellophane on your mouth and blow and vibrate your lips.

Comment

yeah, thats a pretty good description of bearing noise. Could be pinion or outer wheel bearing.

FOr what its worth, a rear up to 1997 can be put in. Later ones have disc brakes, which are not that difficult to connect up in place of the stock drum brakes.

Comment

There's a later two tone blue one for sale around me if you want to bother coming to the state's. $2800 and its really nice, two tone blue with blue velour and lacy spoke wheels...
                            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                              There's a later two tone blue one for sale around me if you want to bother coming to the state's. $2800 and its really nice, two tone blue with blue velour and lacy spoke wheels...
                              Dunno if it would be a deal breaker but speedometer's primary numbers would be in miles instead of kilometers...

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Working...
                              X