PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: 1997 Mercury Grand Marquis LS

Southern

Sad that the older design is more reliable. Nice work on the bar. Concerning about the driveshaft but at least you caught it...
    -Nick M.
    Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 (2x) TC, 06 TC, 07 TC
    03 BMW 540iT, 04 Ford F150 4.6 XLT Reg cab, 8ft bed

So far the '97 has been doing relatively okay, save for some alternator stupidity.

Several years back, the 6G I had on the car started flaking out. I tossed on a junkyard 95 amp 3G, then got a 130 amp re-manned model a few months later. All was good unit a few weeks ago I was noting the dash lights dimming and blower motor slowing at idle, only to pick back up with the engine speed. All the fender grounds were good, and I wasn't having any voltage drop. Finally, while standing outside the car with it idling, I could see the lights pulsing, so I figured I had a larger issue with the charging system. I guess that reman unit wasn't having it anymore.

I ordered a Motorcraft 6G reman unit through work, and warranty returned the failing 3G, so I got my replacement on the cheap. The Motorcraft unit looked pretty good compared to some reman units I've seen. Now I did run into a hiccup on install, and that was while I was removing the failing alternator, one of the bracket bolts that attached to the intake crossover sheared off. I wound up drilling it all the way out as it was hopelessly stuck, filled the void with JB Weld, then drilled and tapped a new hole. That worked surprisingly well.

I also installed a new belt tensioner and serpentine belt while I was there. I did the idler pulley fall/winter of last year. I also found out Continental is ending their Poly-V (AKA Gatorback) series in favor of a traditional serpentine belt design. I know the Gatorbacks have been a fan favorite for 4.6 owners to help prevent belt chirp at WOT, and I had never ran into an issue with the old one that replaced the factory belt maybe 7 or 8 years ago.

Also got straight 2s on the odometer during a trip to NC.

Only other things I can think of that have been done since March was installing a battery, new coil packs, and spark plug wires. I only did the wires and coils on age/mileage precaution, however there wasn't any noticeable issue prior.

My Cars:
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1989 Sable LS Wagon (88,710 Miles) - Sold
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (222K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Since the '87 has been out of commission since late October/early November, the '97 has gotten a few "fixes" done that have been on my list.

I installed WeatherTech LampGuards to a set of NOS Ford headlight and turn signal assemblies.

The LampGuards are the heavy film protectant deals that are supposed to be self healing against debris and also UV resistant. The hope is to maximize usable life out of these assemblies. I'm on the fence about the corner markers since they need to be replaced too since the reflectors are turning white. I've currently got the '92-'94 style installed, but have considered getting proper '95-'97 ones instead.

I also got curious regarding how the 4.6 is doing, so I fitted an electric oil pressure gauge. The sender went into the unused port below the switch for the light.

Cold pressure reads around 75-80 PSI at idle, while hot idle in gear is closer to 25-30 PSI, which seems to be properly in spec for this engine, even for the mileage.

And regarding mileage...

It's rolling smoothly along.

All things considered, it's doing alright.

As long as nothing happens before the end of May this year, I'll have owned this car for 10 years. Certainly have no complaints regarding long term ownership, that's for sure.
    Last edited by Kodachrome Wolf; 01-10-2021 at 10:19 PM.

My Cars:
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (222K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

fomoco panthers !

That is the first time I have seen the Weather guard headlight film. Looks good. I see you have 71-72 Ford Galaxie/Ltd wheel covers on the MGM. Car looks good.

New lights make such a huge difference. I’d say that’s good oil pressure as well. How many miles were on it when you bought it?
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggie View Post
    New lights make such a huge difference. I’d say that’s good oil pressure as well. How many miles were on it when you bought it?
    Don’t quote me exactly since I’d need to find the title to make sure, but I think the official mileage was 111,896. I usually just round and say it had 112K when I started.

My Cars:

New lights can change how a car looks for sure.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789