No announcement yet.

1997 Mercury Grand Marquis LS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dropped $100 on the car for the start of a new project.

I picked up another set of wheels that can fit a bit more tire on them. The picture below is a before (left) and after shot (right):

I essentially stole away with really good Cobra 17" wheels that came on the '96-'97 models, which is why these have the metallic charcoal accenting. I still have some cleaning to do as they were PlastiDipped, and thinly at that (meaning it doesn't want to peel off at all, except in small little pieces), which has caused some of it to be rather stubborn at coming off, particularly in the recessed areas with the accenting. My friend used a pressure washer on the better part of the wheels and destroyed the rest of that coating. Outside of some scratches (expected with age) and one place where it look like someone didn't know how to apply a weight, these are in very good condition and I could get double what I paid for them, but I won't because I intend on fitting them sometime during the summer.

For proper fitment, I'm going to run a 1/4" spacer up front and 1.25" hub-centric adapter in the rear to fill out the wheel wells a bit better. For tires, I'm now looking at Kuhmo Ecsta ASX All-Season in a 255/50R-17 size.

This should be fun.

Oh, and if anyone is wondering, the steelies and dog dishes will be saved and stored away. I do not intend of getting rid of those.
    Last edited by Kodachrome Wolf; 03-21-2015, 03:46 PM.

My Cars:
    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

I originally had 1/4 spacers up front, but they kept hitting.
      I have 17" 04 Mustang GT wheels.
      I run 1.25" hubcentric up front, and 1.5" hubcentric in the rear.

-ryan s.
      08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
      03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
      97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
      94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
      73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
      12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
      Originally posted by pantera77
      Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Originally posted by SVT98t View Post

-ryan s.
        Which one of your cars was that on?

I've been trying to get as much info so I don't wind up making any costly mistakes, and getting the right spacers will sure help. I'm not aiming to have the wheels flush with the fenders, but at least able to clear properly on the front and fill out the rear a bit.

My Cars:
        -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
        -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

That was the tank. That setup works for 79-02

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

It was my 93.
            And with the 1/4" spacers, the wheels hit the away bar at full turn.
            Also, try and source smaller length lug studs. I had to trim about 3/8" off the end of my studs so the spacer would sit flush against the hub.
            The parts I trimmed did not have any threads. It was the bare shank on the tip before the treads started.

-ryan s.
            03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
            97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--

Comment

And I had to change to thinner 19mm lugs to attach the spacers to the hub because I could not fit the 21mm socket that I had into the hole on the spacer.
              You can still use the standard lug to attach the wheel to the spacer.

-ryan s.
              03 Mercury Marauder- 63k

Comment

My car is in the air in my garage. I'll record a quick video when I return from lunch.

-ryan s.
                03 Mercury Marauder- 63k

Comment

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
                  I picked up another set of wheels that can fit a bit more tire on them. I essentially stole away with really good Cobra 17" wheels that came on the '96-'97 models
                  I think the recessed areas and rim edge would look really good Plastidipped red to match the car.
                  88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                  Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

-ryan s.
                    Found this in TOJ2's thread:

I assume this is where you're running the above adapters? If so, that looks absolutely perfect.

Also, is there any rubbing on anything, even when going over bumps? Sorry about all the questions, just I want to try to get this setup right the first time instead of throwing money all over the place.
                    Last edited by Kodachrome Wolf; 03-23-2015, 12:28 AM.

My Cars:

Comment

Good times... I need to swap the factory corners back in my Dakota. The Ebay clears suck.

Personally I'd keep the steelies, dog dishes and trim rings but thats just me.
                      2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                      2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                      2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                      1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
                        Good times... I need to swap the factory corners back in my Dakota. The Ebay clears suck.

Personally I'd keep the steelies, dog dishes and trim rings but thats just me.
                        I'm keeping my old wheels around. I love the look, but right now the black wheels just don't do what the red ones did. With the Cobras on the car, I will be able to properly redo them while having a little more fun with a different style. I love changing things up every so often. Keeps things from getting old.

Hell, I could have a set of summer and winter tires too, just obviously not in the same application as people who actually have snow. Summer gets Cobras and Winter gets Steelies/Dog dish.

My Cars:

Comment

In that pic, I have the 1.25" spacers up front, and 1.5" spacers out back.
                          I ran the 1/4" spacer for only a few weeks.
                          I did a ton of research first before ordering and I still messed it up.
                          I would highly recommend the setup I have.

-ryan s.
                          03 Mercury Marauder- 63k

Comment

In that pic, I have the 1.25" spacers up front, and 1.5" spacers out back.
                            I ran the 1/4" spacer for only a few weeks.
                            I did a ton of research first before ordering and I still messed it up.
                            I would highly recommend the setup I have.

-ryan s.
                            Sounds like that's what I'll do. Thanks!

My Cars:

Comment

Obligatory picture for today:

New NAPA brakes and rotors installed and the oil and filter were changed (Valvoline Full Synthetic 5W-30 and Motorcraft FL-820S). Did some brake tests to set everything. Hard braking is controlled and straight and regular braking is pleasantly more responsive. After having a warped rotor for as long as I did, it's really nice just to have smooth braking effort now.

My Cars:

Comment

Repainted the grille in a fresh coat of black gloss paint, changed the hubcaps to one of my full size sets then did a fair amount of driving. Had some work to do at my late grandmother's house in Whitmire and I decided to get some photos.

Camped out in the garage/basement. A '93 and '01 MGM have also both resided in this garage over the years:

Getting ready to go:

The car now needs another wash down not only from the bugs I've collected, but also from the mud I threw on the rocker panels. The area before the garage was all mush, and I didn't realize that until I had backed halfway through it and the car bogged down and I spun the wheels a bit.

If anyone was wondering, this is the other set of hubcaps I have for the car:

The metal ones are from 1970s Ford full-size pickups and are stamped 'Ford Motor Company' and have the Ford crest.
                                The plastic ones are from 1986-1989 Mercury Sables and have the flying-M emblem.

My Cars:

Comment

Working...
                                X