No announcement yet.

1997 Mercury Grand Marquis LS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Evap drain clogged seepingninto car? Firewall grommet leak? Gasket for air intake leak like the Lincolns of the era have/do from 98-11?
    -Nick M.
    Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
    03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

Originally posted by TecNickal View Post
      Evap drain clogged seepingninto car? Firewall grommet leak? Gasket for air intake leak like the Lincolns of the era have/do from 98-11?
      That's the weird part, it was the rear floorboard on the driver's side. Both driver and passenger front floor boards were dry.

My Cars:
      -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
      -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
      -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
      -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Driver rear? Hood release grommet, coal leak in Seam sealer? Factory wiring harness grommet ?
        -Nick M.
        Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
        03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

Originally posted by TecNickal View Post
          Driver rear? Hood release grommet, coal leak in Seam sealer? Factory wiring harness grommet ?
          I'll definitely have to pull stuff apart. Hood release area seemed dry, as did most of the upper carpet surrounding the foot well. The floor mat was the wettest thing, yet the carpet underneath was a bit drier by touch, but still wet. Everything was rather localized to that particular area.

I took my carpet shampooer to the interior with the handheld component and cleaned the carpets really well. The floor mat that was wet had a orange-brown color coming out of it. I suspect rain water as we've had strong storms lately, but I've never encountered this in the car before. I'm sure I'll find the source once I get things taken apart.

My Cars:
          -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
          -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Might water be getting in via the coach lamp??
            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
              Might water be getting in via the coach lamp??
              No exterior coach lamps on a '97. The rear passenger light is dry and only is inserted in the headliner.

My Cars:

Comment

Just another reason I never bring my car to anyone. Nobody cares as much as you do.
                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Beautiful aero!!! I love the projector upgrade.

Comment

Somebody lost one of those 50 gallon plastic trash cans today. I managed to find it on the freeway at 65 MPH and I couldn't swerve around it, so I bounced it off the right corner of the bumper.

Post-strike:

It was mostly plastic transfer from the can to the bumper. It smacked it straight on the turn signal light housing and cracked the paint a bit underneath it. The impact broke a locking tab on the turn signal socket which knocked it free from the bulb. The bulb got the filaments broken so I tossed in a clear bulb just to have a functional signal.

Post-cleaning:

I busted out the cleaning stuff when I got home. I used Scratch-X to get off the transfer, NuFinish to polish the area, and Turtle Wax paste wax to seal everything up.

I got a new socket and bulb at work and installed those. Despite the bumper cover being slightly more out of alignment than before (was never quite right to start with), everything cleaned up reasonably well.

My Cars:

Comment

I bounced a construction barrel off the front of the aero once. Launched one off the front of the Mad Marquis once. Both had just little scratches and no other damage. I was impressed. Of course, both of my impacts were much slower... ~45 and a glancing blow off the right corner for the Cake and about 30mph almost dead on the right corner and kicked it clean off the road on the Marquis.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                        I bounced a construction barrel off the front of the aero once. Launched one off the front of the Mad Marquis once. Both had just little scratches and no other damage. I was impressed. Of course, both of my impacts were much slower... ~45 and a glancing blow off the right corner for the Cake and about 30mph almost dead on the right corner and kicked it clean off the road on the Marquis.
                        I was expecting worse when I got out given how it sounded. I wasn't happy, but considering it cleaned up I got over it quick.

That silly trash can spun around to the shoulder and uprighted itself after I hit it. Road debris sucks.

My Cars:

Comment

I had a woman in a BMW talking on her phone coming up on a construction zone not paying attention try and run me off the road in the Town Car. There was a lane shift and she just kept going straight. End result was discovering that those orange barrels and my drivers side mirror are the exact same height. Nailed that thing at 65mph with the mirror. So close to missing it entirely. It swung the mirror into the door so hard that it flung the glass off the mirror into the window with enough force to chip the window. Talk about a godawful noise. Amazingly it did zero damage to the mirror housing, but the mirror glass was beyond repair and the tabs that hold it to the motor were gone. Pulled a junkyard mirror off a '95 Townie and took the glass and motor out of it, then gave the housing to my buddy because his Townie had a broken housing and this one was silver and almost matched his silver/green car.
                          -Steve

2006 Audi A6 S-Line FWD ~132k miles, stock.
                          1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~102k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
                          1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel, rustbelt diet plan..
                          1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12

Comment

The '97 just completed a road trip around 1,700 miles from GA to IL and back again. Rolled past 191K, closing in on 192K. Did rather well considering it hasn't taken any long trips this year and has been handling daily stuff. Now it needs a wash down really bad from how many bugs wound up on the front.

Snapped some pictures in TN on the return trip. There was a rest point somewhere on the south tail of TN State Route 111 just north of Chattanooga.

Ugly duckling:

The angle I took the picture from really makes the bumper gap look really bad. That's a combination of the fact it's never been right since 1997 (warranty receipts show the original owner tried to have it adjusted), the fender install fudged the lines a bit, and then smacking the trash can at speed. It'll all get straightened up as good as possible whenever I send it away for paint. I'd like to do that Thanksgiving week, assuming things work out time wise.

Really need to find some LTC seats or re-stuff these. 13 hours in these seats kind of wears on you. I guess nearly 200K will do that. Just need to find a good set of Light Graphite seats. So many that I find that match are just shredded or cracked.

My Cars:

Comment

Sounds like how my '69 Fury made me feel after that one road trip I took, only that thing totaled me. I never drove it long distance again and lost interest fast because of it. Short of fabricating something there was no easy way to make that thing comfy. Solution was to sell and replace. Not so sure on the replacement part, I like not having to manage repairs on multiple cars. We're down to four right now.
                              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Love the scenic overlooks.
                                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X