No announcement yet.

5.0 in 92 Grand Marquis.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my 88 has a wide ratio and 3.55 gears. Let's just say that launching it off the line is fun.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
      Having ridden in a 92 Grand Marq with a stock rear and a 5.0 HO very recently, I can tell you its not that horrible. Not totally sure what rear is in that car, but its probably a 3.08. It could be a lot better, but I don't really think you would need a 4.11. That also tends to make it suck pretty bad on the highway, just in case you ever do leave Miami for some reason. I have a 3.55 in my car, and I've driven Scott's car with a 3.73. I think the 3.73 does pretty well, and it does fine on the highway too.
      The Grand Marquis has a 3.08. 5.0s work well with the 3.55s. My vic has 3.55s. I would do 3.55s in the Grand Marquis as well.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        With a wide ratio, you can get by with even less rear gearing. Gander upon yonder chart:

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...anny-tech-info

First gear effective with a wide ratio and a 3.27 is actually lower than a standard ratio and a 3.73. Second gear is fairly close.

Towncar drive shafts are different length.

Thanks for the link. My main goal is to have a final 1st gear ratio of somewhere of 10:1. I think I read that somewhere as ideal for a street car. Based on the graph I shouldn't go anything higher than 3.55 gears, since I want to build my transmission into a wide ratio AOD. At the same time I get a 10.08:1 final first gear ratio.
        1992 Mercury Grand Marquis.
        Upgrades: Big Brake Upgrade, digital dash, Custom ignition Switch system, sequential tail lights, Teflon Fuel lines, LED interior lights, rear end rebuild with limited slip.
        Future upgrades: 5.0 swap, 4r70w swap, aluminum driveshaft.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
          my 88 has a wide ratio and 3.55 gears. Let's just say that launching it off the line is fun.
          Decided on going with 3.55 gears. I just have a question in regards to the wide ratio. Where would you suggest finding info on a build because I am still not sure what is really needed for the AOD. I have searched with no luck.
          Upgrades: Big Brake Upgrade, digital dash, Custom ignition Switch system, sequential tail lights, Teflon Fuel lines, LED interior lights, rear end rebuild with limited slip.
          sigpic

Comment

You need a late model aod case (90+) you'll use input and output shafts from aod. Front drum from late model aod and planetary gearset from 4r70w.

Comment

The AOD parts guide I know of is here:

http://www.lincolnsonline.com/tech/00080.html

For more / other info, try clickclickracing. They're the AOD forum gurus.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

You will need a modified valve body to shift the wide ratio at the correct times or run the TV cable a little tight to set the 2-3 shift where you want it and then just know to let off a little for the 1-2 shift because it'll hold that one a little too long.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                  You will need a modified valve body to shift the wide ratio at the correct times or run the TV cable a little tight to set the 2-3 shift where you want it and then just know to let off a little for the 1-2 shift because it'll hold that one a little too long.
                  I am actually going to buy a constant pressure unit from silverfoxtrans.com, I really do not want to mess up the setting with a rebuilt transmission.
                  sigpic

Comment

Comment

Working...
                    X