Wagon Shock help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wagon Shock help

I have Monroe heavy duty shocks on the wagon now (90 colony park) and they are awful. It feels like there is no shock, just springs. Its bouncy as hell and just not comfortable to drive. The prev owner had KYB gas adjust on there, but apparently those have a history of not being good enough for the weight of wagons, and can start to leak. The springs were replaced in the last couple years, and there are front and rear sway bars.

I need some shocks that would be good for everyday driving, but also good for gravel/back roads. Suggestions?

1990 Colony Park, with HO swap.

Previously:
    1990 Lincoln Town Car Cartier.
    88 CVLX
    01 Marquis

I've had problems with Monroe's blowing out in under a year before. I don't think I'll buy them ever again. I went KYB Gas-A-Justs with mine but I see those aren't what you're looking for.

What about one of the load assist shocks that have the coil spring around them?

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

There are rear air helper shocks that are in the back. I would get Gas a justs, but I have heard that they are not good for wagons. If that is not the case, I would go that route.

Previously:
      88 CVLX
      01 Marquis

Comment

I just put a set of KYB gas-a-just in over the weekend replacing the stock air shocks that were dead. So I only have about 20 miles with them. I would PM pantera77 and get his bounce. He has a 90 Colony Park as well I believe (a Wagon either way) Lots of good advice too. When asking before I bought my set I heard nothing but positives about the KYB.
        Last edited by Stidman; 12-15-2014, 03:56 PM.

Comment

I have truck shocks on my sedan with cargo coils... it needs some good weight in the back to not have a semi-harsh ride. It drives like a truck now. I'm wagering the added weight of the wagon would be about perfect. You have to push out the lower bushing on the shock and push in the old bushings from the shocks you're tossing, but other than that, it's a direct fit. Definitely no bounce with these shocks.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I've never heard of KYB's leaking in wagons, though I've never ran them myself. My one wagon has some crappy generic shocks out back that work "ok" at best, the other wagon had those air-lift shocks, and it rode like complete garbage unless the shocks were really aired up, at which point it had an ugly rake. I threw some old motorcraft sure trackers in it I had laying around and they were again "ok" at best.

I'll be running KYB's once I put it back together since that's what I have laying around, plus it's lowered so I can't run F150 shocks.
            2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
            2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
            2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
            1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Can't stand Monroe shocks. NEVER had any luck with them. Like previously stated, done within a years time. Police shocks are getting hard to find, and I need to get the Monroe's out. I have a rear set out of an "07 E-450 cutaway (BUS) we just junked. The shocks were on there for MAYBE 1 month before it got T-Boned. Thoughts?

MIKE

Comment

What's the benefit of the F150 shocks? I don't haul heavy stuff, so i don't need super stiff. I'm more worried about soaking up bumps

Previously:
                88 CVLX
                01 Marquis

Comment

Then the gas-a-justs should work great with constant rate springs. I have the variable rate cargo coils and needed a rebound stop type shock or another 200# in the trunk to ride smooth.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

I have no idea what springs he put in. Guessing there is no way to tell by just looking at them?

Previously:
                    88 CVLX
                    01 Marquis

Comment

since the wagons are about 600# ?? heavier in the rear, even with the variable rate cargo coils, I don't think it'll be an issue with harshness... I'll try to load down my car with some stuff and see if it ride smoother with more weight back there. (pretty sure it will)

Comment

No need to go through all that. Ill just get the KYBs. Gotta be better than the stuff thats on there now.

Previously:
                        88 CVLX
                        01 Marquis

Comment

Wagons are only ~200#s heavier.
                          2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                          2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                          2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                          1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

200# ... then the kyb would be perfect. My sedan road wonderfully with 200# of dirt on the trunk on the cargo coils with the gas-a-justs.

Comment

Just to make sure I am understanding you Sly, the set up using wagon cargo coils and KYB shocks for an F150 is what you have in your sedan. And with 200#'s added weight it rides great, yes? Also, I read in a different thread about using the 99 F150 shock where someone mentions the cross reference to a 1991 to 1997 Isuzu Rodeo shock and not having to mess with changing out the steel sleeve. Is that a viable choice?

Comment

Working...
                              X