EGR cooler line delete?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EGR cooler line delete?

Still trying to track down a coolant leak from rear of engine... working theory is EGR cooling.

Can I just delete the T from the heater hose and then plug the smaller hose to the EGR?
    It is pretty cramped on the backside between firewall and motor, so I can't tell where the return line goes after the EGR -- just back to the manifold?

(FWIW, I tried searching a few times here first but no luck tonight -- just get the "waiting" server message and no results).

Thanks!

yes you can delete it. i think they meant it to leak in 25 yrs and make a mess.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

The line goes into a small fitting thats close to the back drivers side corner of the intake.
      Because of it's size, location and the junk back there, it is hard to see and even harder to get at.
      I've done it two or three times now on different cars, it wasn't any fun and very frustrating.
      But it can be done.

Comment

Originally posted by mcninetyone View Post
        The line goes into a small fitting thats close to the back drivers side corner of the intake.
        Because of it's size, location and the junk back there, it is hard to see and even harder to get at.
        I've done it two or three times now on different cars, it wasn't any fun and very frustrating.
        Oh good!
        Suggestions or options?

Comment

what is the purpose of the stupid cooler lines running through the throttle body?
          "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
          -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
          -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
          -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

If you want to fix it, you can see the fitting from the drivers side with a flashlight.
            Just follow the hose down to the back of the intake, the fitting is about 2" behind the last fuel injector on that side.
            I would remove the bracket that holds the trottle cable/TV cable and set it aside with the cables still attached.
            And disconnect the two wiring plugs you can get at and the AIC, they run infront of the fitting you're trying to get to.
            Once thats done you should be able to clearly see the fitting, especially if you move the wiring out of the way.
            A long screw driver or quarter inch socket, with a swivel and extension should get it.
            Or you can just remove the fitting and replace it with a plug.
            This is on a 91CV, if you have a metal/coolant tube running down the pass. side of the intake.
            And the EGR coolant line starts there, nothing I said applies!
            Last edited by mcninetyone; 12-17-2014, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by porschpow View Post
              what is the purpose of the stupid cooler lines running through the throttle body?
              Throttle body icing. If you are old enough, just like carb icing, when the temperature and humidity are just right ice can build up during steady state highway driving jamming the throttle blades in whatever position they where in while cruising.

Alex.

Comment

I've measured about a 10F increase in air temp at the sensor with the lines connected vs disconnected. I've never had it run dumb in the winter but I rarely drive it in extreme cold either.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks... maybe a bit easier for me and the '85 w/ CFI. Any idea what plug I would need so I could get it in advance?
                  Also, what is "AIC"?

Originally posted by mcninetyone View Post
                  If you want to fix it, you can see the fitting from the drivers side with a flashlight.
                  Just follow the hose down to the back of the intake, the fitting is about 2" behind the last fuel injector on that side.
                  I would remove the bracket that holds the trottle cable/TV cable and set it aside with the cables still attached.
                  And disconnect the two wiring plugs you can get at and the AIC, they run infront of the fitting you're trying to get to.
                  Once thats done you should be able to clearly see the fitting, especially if you move the wiring out of the way.
                  A long screw driver or quarter inch socket, with a swivel and extension should get it.
                  Or you can just remove the fitting and replace it with a plug.
                  This is on a 91CV, if you have a metal/coolant tube running down the pass. side of the intake.
                  And the EGR coolant line starts there, nothing I said applies!

Comment

I'm guessing he means IAC, which is something you don't have on an 85.

For what its worth, the EGR cooler does not function as a throttle heater on an 85. There are actually passages in the intake for that, the ones that the EgR actually feeds through. That flappy thing in the exhaust forces gas through that to stop "carb" icing.
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

So unless you live in Extreme temps, there really is no need for this spacer, as it will leak and without a it, the engine will run cooler, he he who would've thought of that
                      "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
                      -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                      -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
                      -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

If I daily drove the car, and actually went any sort of distance i'd be tempted to try plumbing it in with a bypass to see if there was any change in fuel economy. In theory, less dense hotter air should go with less fuel, and might very slightly improve fuel mileage. Or maybe it wouldn't do a damn thing, don't know. Impossible to say without testing, but since I drive the car so rarely I can't actually do it.

Comment

[QUOTE=gadget73;745126]I'm guessing he means IAC, which is something you don't have on an 85.

You're right, I ment the IAC, serves me right for not checking back on what I wrote.

If the engine uses the intake fitting I have no idea what size that is, but it's small.
                          Just have to pull it and match it up to the right plug.

Comment

1/4" NPT i think.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                              If I daily drove the car, and actually went any sort of distance i'd be tempted to try plumbing it in with a bypass to see if there was any change in fuel economy. In theory, less dense hotter air should go with less fuel, and might very slightly improve fuel mileage. Or maybe it wouldn't do a damn thing, don't know. Impossible to say without testing, but since I drive the car so rarely I can't actually do it.
                              no loss I could find when I bypassed it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                              Originally posted by gadget73
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                              Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                              X