No Brights, but low beams work.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Brights, but low beams work.

I go to turn on my brights, and they shut off completely, so no light. I pull the flash to pass, and the high beam indicator lights up, but no brights light up. There is a headlight relay that is there, although I have not checked that everything is set up correctly. My headlights do work, and I have dash lights. Its a 90 colony park, it has the auto lamps, but that is turned off, and I figured that would not be the issue since the headlights do work.

I think it is the multi function switch, as the turn signals dont cancel when I turn. Is this a correct assumption, or is it possibly another issue?

1990 Colony Park, with HO swap.

Previously:
    1990 Lincoln Town Car Cartier.
    88 CVLX
    01 Marquis

yeah... probably the MFS. Double check the relay though.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I don't think there is a high beam relay on these. The relay turns on the headlamps, but thats it. Power goes from either the relay or the headlight switch up to the MF switch, and then out to the lights themselves. This sounds a lot like MF switch failure to me.

stupid question but its not just bad bulbs is it ? Don't laugh, I've had both low beams go out at once before.

Something else to check is the big connector about even with the washer bottle on the driver's side fender. The lighting circuits to the front all go through that, and if the particular wire for the high beams has crusted over it might not work.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Could be headlight switch too. I had that happen to me before, and that's what it turned out to be.
        Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
        Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
        X