Valet key

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valet key

So I got myself a 97 crown vic as back up car. It has some small issues though. Main question is: I have a valet key for it. Will that interact with the performance? Someone told me I can't "drive" it fully with the valet key only? True or false?
    1995 Lincoln Town Car Executive Series: "Albert" my daily driver
    1988 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series: "Don Vito Corleone" my Summer Cruise
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2004 Grand Marquis LS: "The Boss" with floor shifter (loved it) - R.I.P.
    1997 Crown Victoria: "Victoria, the Armadillo" R.I.P.
    2003 Lincoln Town Car: "Nikkatello" - R.I.P. (Miss you the most)
    1995 Grand Marquis: "Gustavo Gonzales, the dirty Mexican" - R.I.P.

The valet key allows for driving up to a mile I think if the car is equipped with PATS (This may be other cars - didn't find anything to confirm this). Otherwise, it only opens the driver door and starts the car. If you lock the trunk release button on the door and the glove box, they can't get into those areas with the valet key. Or so a quick Google search found out.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I've never heard about the one mile thing, but the rest is exactly as it is on my 04. I'd check out the one mile distance but my valet key doesn't start the car (needs to be reprogrammed)
      2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
      2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
      Past Panthers
      1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
      if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Valet key only allows the doors to be unlocked and the car to be started/driven. If you lock the glove box and trunk button on drivers door, the valet(or who ever else drives the vehicle) who holds the valet key, cannot go through your valuables/personal items.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
        1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
        1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
        2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
        2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Finally remembered the source for the one-mile thing... it was actually on my grandparents' box MGM that had a hidden valet switch on it. When enabled, the car would shut off after one mile. So not applicable to your valet key setup.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

It drives …and more than a mile. Drove it home last night. It also goes at least 120km/h but it doesn't run right. The code reader said something about weak firing on right and left bank and somebody said it's because of the valet key … *shrugs*
            1995 Lincoln Town Car Executive Series: "Albert" my daily driver
            1988 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series: "Don Vito Corleone" my Summer Cruise
            -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            2004 Grand Marquis LS: "The Boss" with floor shifter (loved it) - R.I.P.
            1997 Crown Victoria: "Victoria, the Armadillo" R.I.P.
            2003 Lincoln Town Car: "Nikkatello" - R.I.P. (Miss you the most)
            1995 Grand Marquis: "Gustavo Gonzales, the dirty Mexican" - R.I.P.

Comment

Working...
            X