X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

changing rear axle oil

What weight oil should I use?

How much do I torque it down to?

should I use rtv if i already have a gasket?
    "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
    -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
    -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
    -2011 Subaru Outback

if the car has a trac-lok with the clutches in it, you will need a friction modifier . . should be able to use 80-90 oil in it and add the additive in it . .
    Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

I use 75W-90 synthetic gear oild and change it once a year. As for RTV or a gasket, it's your choice. I've used both, and both work.

Comment

75w90 sounds right, but check the owner's manual. It should be in there. If it calls for 80w90, 75w90 is the synthetic equivalent.

I've done bothRTV and gasket, had no problems with either. Make sure the cover isn't warped around the bolt holes though. Tap it flat if needed.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I used the RTV, cause the gasket I got from Rockauto was too small (wrong size). The pumpkin cover is plastic, weird, eh?

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
          -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Plastic? That's news to me. Mine is definitely metal.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

I don't know if it's a Lincoln thing or what?

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
              -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Never heard of a plastic diff cover.
                2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

I have a plastic cover on my 89 Colony Park with the trailer tow package, (3.55 traction lock). WagonMan
                  89 Colony Park
                  90 Colony Park
                  70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

i have seen the plastic covers.
                    there are also aluminum covers.
                    i remember a plastic cover on a 89 townie.

my preferred install method is with a gasket covered on both sides with rtv.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I would use the gasket too, but it was the wrong side, kinda my fault, should've compared

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                      -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

must be for a 7.5 rear or something. Odd.
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I was not aware that the rear end oil had to be changed?
                          I have never changed mine and the car has 86K miles, and is dry with no weeping.

Comment

Originally posted by Toploader View Post
                            I was not aware that the rear end oil had to be changed?
                            I have never changed mine and the car has 86K miles, and is dry with no weeping.
                            Never a bad thing to put new fluids in.

Unless it's an auto that's never seen a fluid change in 150,000 miles..

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
                            The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
                            It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Nobody else is aware that the oil back there needs changing every few decades either Usually they find out that its leaked out when the rear blows up.

I don't even know what the service interval is on that stuff, but its fairly long. If its never been done, or at least checked to make sure it's full, changing it would not be the worst idea.

Comment

Working...
                              X