No announcement yet.

'03 Silverado

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My wife's step-dad bought a 91-93 (not sure) C1500 extended cab 4.3 2WD 5spd, and I was surprised how light the clutch is in that truck, the pedal is much stiffer in my truck. I've had a transmission builder drive it and he said it was fine.

Anyways, it has the same 3.42 gears my truck has and I can tell it's not as powerful but it's not a turd like I was expecting. His also probably didn't tow like mine did for most of it's life.

Also it sounds terrible, it has no cat and a glasspack, way too loud for a V6. I've heard a few 4.3 exhausts in person, like a muffler delete with dual tailpipes and 3" tips, which sounds decent but pretty loud. Then there's the Thrush Welded which sounds nice until it hits 2500 rpm or higher and it sound bad. My buddy had a Thrush Turbo on an 04 Blazer and I liked that the best, not too loud but just a bit of rumble and never sounded ricey like louder exhausts. If you're looking for a bit more sound, Dynomax Super Turbos are quieter because of the flow directors, smooth out the sound. The exhaust shop guy I use really likes them.

You could try one, but if you don't want to spend the money or you want it silent, I know a few contractors with V6 trucks that just run a turndown off the stock muffler, reduces weight and adds flow for better mileage and keeps it stock quiet. Looks better too, I'm not a fan of the single pipe sticking out, the turndown gives it a clean, hidden look.
    88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
    Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Ash and I bought a 1988 GMC 3500, single cab longbox with a 454, SM465 trans & 4.10's out back. Clean, no rust but jesus, we've been through everything except the brakes & tires. All GM's seem to discard the fuel pump right after you buy them and then weird small stuff starts to pop up just when you think you've done it all. Truck could still could benefit from a radiator & slave cylinder. All in all, the truck is a beast though, fun and easy to drive (Clutch is very light with this too) and I know we'll never kill it. Would like to put an NV3500 trans in it one day. 4.3 is a good motor, essentially a 350 with the rear two cylinders lopped off.
      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Derek you want the NV4500 if anything, it's the heavy duty version. NV3500 is what I have and they're not difficult to break in a half ton. Also the fuel pumps in my trucks make that constant buzz but they haven't gone out yet in 8 years.

Comment

Oh yeah, that's the one. Will cost us almost what we paid for the truck so it's a pipe dream. Coulda maybe waited for a later model to come up for sale but a well optioned GMC/Chevy with a stick is a rare bird. Would probably be easier just to find a 2.56 rear end or something haha. This truck is what the SS should've been from factory, minus the bench seat & long box that is. Every GM I've owned discarded it's fuel pump around 10 years or 100k miles like clockwork, except for my Grand Am that is. When I got the one in the Firebird done it came back louder than ever but hasn't failed either. If you bought your stuff used perhaps someone already did the pumps for ya.
          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

My truck probably, last owner did a lot of stuff to it. The Suburban which has the louder pump I guarantee is original, it belonged to my dad's company and they neglected it, didn't keep fluids topped off or anything. They thought it was junk so I bought it for $900, fixed it up for next to nothing and ended up with a $50k new Suburban with only 97,000 miles.

I'll need to tear it apart soon, the lower intake gasket is leaking like a Vortec always does, stupid GM and their junk Dex-Cool shit.

Comment

Originally posted by 88Vic View Post
              My truck probably, last owner did a lot of stuff to it. The Suburban which has the louder pump I guarantee is original, it belonged to my dad's company and they neglected it, didn't keep fluids topped off or anything. They thought it was junk so I bought it for $900, fixed it up for next to nothing and ended up with a $50k new Suburban with only 97,000 miles.

I'll need to tear it apart soon, the lower intake gasket is leaking like a Vortec always does, stupid GM and their junk Dex-Cool shit.
              Had that problem when I first bought the truck. I really didn't want to do an intake gasket. So I put some stop leak in there. I know I shouldn't have done it but I did and it actually worked. With the heat of the summer I haven't had any cooling issues. It hasn't gone above 205 so far.

'93 T-bird
              '03 Silverado ECSB

Missed:
              '88 Mark VII
              '86 CV

Comment

Working...
              X