No announcement yet.

Thoughts on getting sludge out...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

...I've heard this said before but I have no idea what it means...

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

I think it refers to winding out the engine on a highway to try to clear out any crap and get the engine running better without having to pop the hood. No idea where the name came from.

Something that occurred to me is that you might want to look at some YouTube videos dealing with sludge to get an idea of the extent of the problem you might be dealing with. I happened to see one a little while ago in which they took off the valve covers and vacuumed out lots of goopy sludge. I just had a look-see and saw one with sludge that was like a thick dried mud. I would guess the big concern would be clogging up oil passages and depriving critical components of oil.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
      mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

basically put in D (3rd) and drive it up to 70 on the highway for a while. Helps blow out the carbon buildup in the heads and will get the temps up everywhere to melt off the sludge and get it moving. May take a few runs to get it all out (with oil changes between). I would just run clean oil and watch it. When it gets dirty, change it. If that takes 100 miles or 1000 miles or 5000 miles. Which is why I like the auto-rx method.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Another possible thing to consider is whether you do oil changes while the oil is still warm. I don't know to what extent draining warm oil would be better than draining cold oil, but every little bit helps.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
          mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

I was trained to warm the car up completely and then drain the oil and remove filter. Hot oil does drain more effectively even though your hands may not like the idea!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Yes it should be hot hot hot.
              03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
              02 SL500 Silver Arrow
              08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
              12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                ...drive it up to 70 on the highway for a while. Helps blow out the carbon buildup in the heads and will get the temps up everywhere to melt off the sludge and get it moving. May take a few runs to get it all out (with oil changes between). I would just run clean oil and watch it. When it gets dirty, change it.
                I agree. Several long-distance trips with oil changes in-between would be good.

Comment

I beg to differ on the seafoam route.

I used seafoam for my brothers vic 87 tudor and my 89 town car

I don't pour in the whole bottle, I just pour in like 3-5 cap fulls (caps being the cap that comes with the seafoam)

It definietely comes out a lot darker then when I use the dipstick and it seems to run a little smoother.

I would use seafoam, JUST DON"T POUR THE WHOEL BOTTLE IN, USE IN MODERATION
                  "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
                  -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                  -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
                  -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Working...
                  X