Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on getting sludge out...?

Hey All,

I posted this on another forum as well but was curious what you guys thought about it.

Any thoughts on what would be the best way to get some sludge out of the engine without disassembling?

I've heard running it for a very short time with a quart of transmission fluid in and then change the oil. I know trans fluid has detergents which is all well and good but I believe it also has some sort of seam sealing agent in it as well. Dunno how bad that could be for the car.

I've also heard kerosene but I'm not going to give that a go.

Maybe a bottle of Marvel before I change the oil again? Sea Foam?

I'm asking because last time I changed the oil in the Oldsmobile it was sludge city. I'm going to change it again at 1500 miles to get some more out but wasn't sure if you guys think running a little something else in there to get some more out would be wise or safe.

My biggest fear is dislodging something and clogging the oil pickup.

Thanks!
    -Erik

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

I know several folks that have had good results with Auto-rx. It's much slower than the flush style treatment that Trans fluid gives, so you have much less chance of clogging stuff.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Heres what my Dad learned me, Drain all oil, put in filter fillled w-ATF, fill motor with ATF, Start motor#### IDLE ONLY #### Run for 10 minutes, shut down, and then do complete LOF with NEW filter.

This will be OK for all pushrod motors that dont have metal damage inside. I have done this many times. it will clean up a lot, it wont clean sludge attached to top of valve covers and places oil does not flow.
      DinoW

Comment

Can't say about tranny fluid but a bit of pint or two of marvel before a change never seemed to cause any problems when I had sludged up vehicles.
        That in conjunction with continued short interval changes will do the trick, but it will take time.

If your oil turns really dirty before 1,500 you can change it then, after running marvel for a while.

Eventually the oil will start staying cleaner longer and longer as it cleans out channels in the gunk down to the iron or steel. Like the Colorado river cutting the Grand Canyon.
        03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
        02 SL500 Silver Arrow
        08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
        12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Just don't use any sort of high power solvent and try and break it up too quick. I've seen people suggest a gallon of kerosene in place of oil, or dumping in a quart of mineral spirits or other stuff like that. If you break it up too fast, it may well block the pickup and cause bigger problems. Also, solvents make for crap lube. A little bit of whatever each oil change won't hurt it but I wouldn't go using quarts of high power stuff each time.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I've never had a sludge problem myself, though I generally change my oil at 5,000 km intervals (apparently just over 3,000 miles). The one time that I had an oil pan off, there was some surface discoloration, but nothing that could be characterized as any kind of sludge or buildup. Is there anything besides not changing the oil frequently enough that causes sludging?

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
            mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Goop* in the spray bottle works like a champ on my diesel Benz

Comment

Originally posted by IPreferDIY View Post
                I've never had a sludge problem myself, though I generally change my oil at 5,000 km intervals (apparently just over 3,000 miles). The one time that I had an oil pan off, there was some surface discoloration, but nothing that could be characterized as any kind of sludge or buildup. Is there anything besides not changing the oil frequently enough that causes sludging?
                that, and not ever letting the engine warm up. RUn one without a thermostat or only ever do in-town short runs and it goops up.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I think my '82 had a defective thermostat from the factory. It was in two pieces when I changed it at about 118K. Sludge? Yeah... It had little pockets in the valve covers for the valve springs to do their thing while surrounded by sludge. The oil drainback holes were like your arteries after eating Crisco for dinner for 30 years. I never did anything but change the oil - lest the sludge avalanche begin.
                  1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                  1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                  Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                  Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Don't use Seafoam in it. Numerous reports of it causing engine damage. Like Gadget stated, the solvents in it breaks things up too quickly and can clog passages. I'd go the ATF or Marvel route and just change it more frequently until it's cleaned up.
                    These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
                      If your oil turns really dirty before 1,500 you can change it then, after running marvel for a while.
                      The same can be said if you add a quart of synthetic oil to the regular oil in your oil change. Run that for 1,500 miles. Change the oil completely again but this time, increase your ratio of synthetic oil to regular oil. Run for 1,500 miles. Continue this procedure until you have 100% synthetic oil in the crankcase.

Comment

I don't get the idea of doing this to an engine. You want to get the sludge out so it doesn't get into the oil and run through the engine. So why MAKE it go into the oil and through the engine? I vote for leaving it where it is. It might even be preventing some leaks you don't want to open up.
                        sigpic
                        89 LTC 429>557 Cobrajet stroker
                        13 F-150 XLT 6.2 l
                        "If I could separate what's real from what I've been dreaming I could live to fight another day"

Comment

^That's the idea with transmissions, I hear that if the fluid is too old it's better to not change it at all. Same with a flush, you can kill it with a flush by dislodging metal deposits and causing leaks.
                          88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                          Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Thanks for the input guys.

So it looks like Seafoam is out.
                            Marvel or ATF is a possibility
                            AutoRx seems to be something worth looking at but seems expensive compared to the other options. (Also it looks like someone spams AutoRx threads across the internet with complaints about it ruining their car... so there's that)

I agree it's dangerous to try out. Maybe I'll just add a little Marvel in and see what I get. The oil in my Oldsmobile is just crazy sludged. It was my grandmothers car and every time I change the oil on it it's mud. I'm thinking it must have went the first 70k miles with very little oil changes in it's almost 20 years of existence...

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

There's always the good old-fashioned Italian Tune-Up.
                              89 Grand Marquis GS.

Putting it here because I keep forgetting to mention it. It's not very exciting at the moment.

Comment

Working...
                              X