No announcement yet.

Door speakers on an 86 crown vic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is a pair if grey speaker covers in an 88 MGM and also a 91 MGM with grey interior at a JY that I go to, but I don't think I will be able to get back to the yard until next month/at least 2 weeks from now. I don't remember if they were in good shape because I wasn't paying attention/didn't need them when I was there this past weekend.

If you still haven't found some before I go back I can check back with you to see if you are still looking for a pair.

Those cutouts being square/rectangular must be why I though I remembered cutting circles.

If 85crownHPP's 85 didn't have speaker wires in the doors and your 86 doesn't either then 87 or 88 must have been the first year they included the wires regardless of speakers being present or not. I don't remember for sure on the 87, but I know for sure my 88 had wires but no speakers. Either way running new wires is what most people prefer to do anyway, but for the DDs that I have had I never bothered to run new wires.
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

No need to grab the covers but i do appreciate the offer man, i think i need to figure out the wiring/buying the speakers first and if anything i can use the speaker grills the come with the new speakers.

I am about to pull the door panel back off tomorrow to find out if my 86 has the wires like your 88 or none like 85crownHPPs and report back.
      sigpic1986 crown victoria ltd 5.0
      Mods- True duals with just cats, msd cap/rotor/coil, ford racing 9mm wires,
      CAI, 180 t-stat, poly sway bar bushings/endlinks, HD shocks, cooper cobra 235/60r15, fresh paint

Comment

Or just do it like this...
        Attached Files

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Yeah that's exactly what i was going to do. thanks for the pics that's always nice.
          CAI, 180 t-stat, poly sway bar bushings/endlinks, HD shocks, cooper cobra 235/60r15, fresh paint

Comment

Never keen on anything blocking a speaker. Its bad enough they are low and get blocked by the seat and your legs.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Yeah i noticed that if your referring to the pouch blocking the speaker...my 86 doesn't have a pouch so i'm clear when i cut

Comment

Originally posted by rob86vic View Post
                Yeah i noticed that if your referring to the pouch blocking the speaker...my 86 doesn't have a pouch so i'm clear when i cut
                EXACTLY! My '87 doesn't have them either and I am happy - would have removed them if it did have them. I thing they might have started in '88 or '89 so, yeah - we're good!!!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

Comment

Lol yeah it just saves me a step when it comes to cutting but my major problem is i cant believe my vic didn't come with factory door speakers causing me this annoyance lol. by the looks of the pics its deff late 80s or early 90s because my window switches aren't on the arm rest like that, mine are lower on the door

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                    Or just do it like this...
                    Other than the color that looks like my 89. My 89 came without speakers in the doors so I added some aftermarket with round covers like that. Also IIRC my 89 did not come with those pockets on the doors so I added them from a parts car.
                    Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
                      Other than the color that looks like my 89. My 89 came without speakers in the doors so I added some aftermarket with round covers like that. Also IIRC my 89 did not come with those pockets on the doors so I added them from a parts car.
                      My '89 has the door pockets and no speakers. I don't remember the cut out template on the cardboard last time I had the door off. Either it didn't have it or I'm remembering wrong. (probably the later. )

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

the pockets help to redirect the sound up somewhat so the legs blocking isn't as bad.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

the pockets help to redirect the sound up somewhat so the legs blocking isn't as bad.
                          Is that really true from an acoustic point of view? Even if it is, anytime you "bend" or re-direct sound you "color" it. I guess I am over sensitive to sound.....

Comment

The thought of the pockets blocking the speakers crossed my mind, but I never really stopped to think about it in depth. I just knew I wanted speakers and pockets and didn't care what anyone else thought about how it looked or sounded. Once I was done it looked and sounded good enough to me.
                            Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                            ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Originally posted by miamibob View Post
                              Is that really true from an acoustic point of view? Even if it is, anytime you "bend" or re-direct sound you "color" it. I guess I am over sensitive to sound.....
                              true enough. But inside a car... it's not the best environment anyhow... if you're going for absolute clarity, you're not driving a panther.

Comment

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
                                The thought of the pockets blocking the speakers crossed my mind, but I never really stopped to think about it in depth. I just knew I wanted speakers and pockets and didn't care what anyone else thought about how it looked or sounded. Once I was done it looked and sounded good enough to me.
                                This is the main point. As long as it's "good enough for yourself" that's all you need.

Comment

Working...
                                X