No announcement yet.

Door speakers on an 86 crown vic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

match up the power rating for the speakers to the head unit (use RMS/nominal values, not peak) and you'll be fine. If you can't match exactly, have the speakers be the higher of the 2 numbers. Helps prevent blowing them.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Ok thanks for the info sly. i might just fish the wire to the door speakers this weekend and see how it sounds
      sigpic1986 crown victoria ltd 5.0
      Mods- True duals with just cats, msd cap/rotor/coil, ford racing 9mm wires,
      CAI, 180 t-stat, poly sway bar bushings/endlinks, HD shocks, cooper cobra 235/60r15, fresh paint

Comment

McIntosh spoken here........tubes tubes , and yes more tubes
        Originally posted by miamibob View Post
        +1! I just have my "quirks" because my ears are more sensitive to sound than most folks but agreed we are not talking about an acoustically pristine environment!

Comment

The front speakers in my '86 MGM Tudor/Premium Sound have been dead for years..........I assume water got to them because the bottom of the door panel is slighly warped away from the door itself. Dash speakers and rear shelf speakers are fine enough for the car.

Comment

Also, when I replaced the door speakers in any of my cars, I always use those foam surrounds that are supposed to "boost the bass", but all I use them for is weather proofing for the speaker. I don't think they help boost the bass at all, but since I don't run low frequencies to those speakers (internal crossover of the head units I use), I have no way to tell anyhow. They do work great as weather proofing for the speakers though. Just poke a hole for the wires on the down side and if you are real anal about it, put a spot of ultra black around the wires to prevent any possibility of water intrusion.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

The foam surrounds are a good thing for low mounted speakers like the Boxes have.

Dash speakers you should have no problem squeezing a five and a quarter in there as long as the depth isn't too much.
              Last edited by tjc78; 01-25-2015, 10:59 AM.
              2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
              2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
              Past Panthers
              1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
              if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Setting a 5.25 speaker there isn't so much the problem as attaching it since you would have to remove the dash to be able to drill the needed holes. I thought about that when I did mine. It would also have to be a shallow mount since the isn't much depth at all to mount in. The doors are much easier to hide speakers in. You can mount 6.5 on the dash if you mount the to the top of the dashpad, but I didn't want to at the time.

Comment

My 87 CV had 6.5s in the dash when we got it. I would have to guess (or hope) that the dash pad was not in such great condition because they cut the dash pad to fit the speakers and IIRC there were long drywall screws involved to mount the speakers.
                  Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                  ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                  ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                  ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

one would hope.

Comment

I would try to squeeze bigger speakers in the dash but i don't feel to comfortable cutting the dash to fit lol
                      sigpic1986 crown victoria ltd 5.0
                      Mods- True duals with just cats, msd cap/rotor/coil, ford racing 9mm wires,
                      CAI, 180 t-stat, poly sway bar bushings/endlinks, HD shocks, cooper cobra 235/60r15, fresh paint

Comment

Would that grey two wire connector flopping around in the middle of my door be the speaker connector? Or for something else? It didn't have any labeling, look like it'd never been used, and was an E3 (1983) part number

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                        160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                        waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

That's the hookup for the light that goes under the arm rest, if equipped.
                          1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

Originally posted by HiFiMerc View Post
                            That's the hookup for the light that goes under the arm rest, if equipped.
                            Thanks. So good for future led lighting modzzz but not for the topic at hand

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                            160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                            waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

pretty much.

Comment

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
                                Would that grey two wire connector flopping around in the middle of my door be the speaker connector? Or for something else? It didn't have any labeling, look like it'd never been used, and was an E3 (1983) part number
                                Like HiFiMerc said that's for the door light. My '85 LTD had the luxury interior option but didn't have the lights for some reason and I decided to add them. The harnesses are there but found out that they're not hot. The driver's side might be but I had to take the kick panel off of the passenger side to find the connector, which was just hanging there (brown & rectangular) and ran a wire from the loose connector to the floor light. Worked just fine. Also, your car has the power window switches on the door down low like that because it doesn't have the luxury interior option.
                                1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                                1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Working...
                                X