Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

double din in a box- link to cvn

http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/u...gonew=1#UNREAD
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

neat!

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I like the idea but there are too many rough edges, it needs some work to look good but I do like the functionality.
      1989 Country Squire - Twilight Blue, 347 stroker

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Comment

I wonder if this would be better if one where to replace the radio and hvac trim with an older 2 hole radio trim and cut an opening into that.

Comment

I think I may do this one day. I mean It's on my LONG list of things to do and he did it really HACK. But I like the idea of double dins and the fact that there is ZERO good looking single dins and he happened to choose the only good double din.

Priorities.. The Bronco does need a single din though.. So the box could donate it's.... ugh

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
          The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
          It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

That looks awful and so out of place.
            2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
            2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
            2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
            1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Well you guys are going to hate me but I did this. I stuck in my double din system into my 1986 crown victoria. It did involve removing the metal bracket, but unlike this guy who cut the trim going straight from the top I actually left a part of the lip so it slides over the top of the system. I also took a cloth and rubbed down the silver paint left on the two raised ridges from where the original radio was. I used the original brackets and attached them to the double din radio. I need to trim the cut out above the HVAC controls before I get the trim piece installed, but for a rough cut out using a hacksaw and an stainless steel hungarian army cutlery knife it came out pretty decent. I'll see about posting pictures once I get the trim in.

Comment

Okay I am ready to get flamed!

Here are the pictures. Unlike what the CVN guy did for trimming the piece I actually left the top portion of the bezel intact not just cutting the bloody thing like so it looks like a weird H.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	T7uv1ZY.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	1279130

Name:	yZNYutk.jpg
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	1279131

Name:	BMFJ1ID.jpg
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	1279132
                The last picture came out the clearest. I was as careful as I could be cutting the trim piece. After I was done cutting it I took a cloth and rubbed off the silver paint on the sides so you don't instantly notice it. Everybody who I showed it too was quite impressed. The upper part of the bezel clears the Cd slot and everything. The system works great and hilariously sounds great with the cars original speakers.

Comment

2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                  2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                  2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                  1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

I've seen worse. It also illustrates the point that the dash has massive amounts of unused space.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    Originally posted by gadget73
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I'm glad you took the time to make the trim piece fit. Lets see a pic from backseat or something to get an idea of how it looks with the whole dash in the picture.
                      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

I like it. Enjoy.
                        03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                        02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                        08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                        12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
                          I'm glad you took the time to make the trim piece fit. Lets see a pic from backseat or something to get an idea of how it looks with the whole dash in the picture.
                          Here you go!

Name:	iKQlj9d.jpg
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	1279140Click image for larger version

Name:	TyzjBDn.jpg
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	1279141Click image for larger version

Name:	AwMJYAw.jpg
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	1279142

Ignore the attachment thumbnails apparently uploading from my computer makes them upside down regardless of what i do.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by DrHax; 03-30-2016, 11:17 PM. Reason: Pictures were upside down!

Comment

Nice. I think seeing the whole dash stretch from one side of the car to the other helps take the focus off of how large that screen is.
                            Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                            ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                            ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                            ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

I feel if the painted silver accent was done around it and the A/C controls were touched up, it would look a bit more complete. Otherwise, it is an unique radio swap compared to most traditional aftermarket single DIN units that are more commonly seen in these cars.

My Cars:
                              -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                              -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                              -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                              -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Working...
                              X