No announcement yet.

1978 Grand Marquis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well done. I'm super excited for some videos!

Comment

Well, I consider it a success....I had to relocate to another state, and drove her.
      State to state was 350 miles, came out with a minor tranny leak....thats it.

The first 100 miles..... every sound, movement, gear change, etc caused panic and me saying "shit".
      Then I relaxed and had a pretty cool cruze.
      Kept her around 60- 67MPH, got 26 miles per gallon.

........... gonna need a higher stall torque converter....so much power to harness!

1978 Grand Marquis 460 2door "Blue Bomber"

1987 LTD Crown Vic Canadian Tow Package 351w aka the "MI Mountie"

1989 Colony Park ....Marge still lives!

1979 Marquis creamy goodness

Comment

460 and 26 mpg? You must share your secrets!
        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Mark!
          Glad to see you posted on the barge dude! Where'd you relocate to?

No way you got 26 mpg out of a carb'd big block mated up to a treespeed lol. Either your math is off or the Speedo is or something. Our 454 GMC with its treespeed and 4.10's manages anywhere from 7.4-9.0mpg...
          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
            460 and 26 mpg? You must share your secrets!
            Thats keeping her low 60 -67....that is premium 93 octane gas so its not that cheap. NO smog shit at all...manifold and open pipes.
            Unless I suck at math....didnt stop once for gas on 18 gallon tank....so 23 per gallon?
            Last edited by Grand1; 05-21-2016, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Had to roll out dude....did that MAP sensor work for you?
              Be back for the Dream cruise....you?
              Last edited by Grand1; 05-21-2016, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Grand1 View Post
                got 26 miles per gallon.
                2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
                  Originally posted by Grand1
                  got 26 miles per gallon.
                  Keeping the Marquis at a steady 72 MPH once got me almost 400 miles and like 29.5 MPG. That was me trying to get decent mileage, otherwise I typically see 24-27 MPG highway.

I think your math is wrong if your 460 and 3 speed auto was doing that well. I'd assume something in the 13-17 MPG area. I might believe your original figure from a Box if it was kept between 55-65 MPH on gentle terrain since 65 and higher seems to really start sapping MPG on them.
                  Last edited by Kodachrome Wolf; 05-22-2016, 12:59 AM.

My Cars:
                  -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                  -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                  -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                  -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

With all that extra power it has now it just idles on the highway I'm sure haha
                    Last edited by farm; 05-22-2016, 01:38 AM. Reason: Autocorrect

Comment

I feel like I am in an armoured vehicle....definitely would make one HELL of a getaway vehicle.
                      Haha. That's exactly how I feel in my '78. It's amazing how much beefier these barges feel than the panthers... and they're not really THAT much bigger.

Thats keeping her low 60 -67....that is premium 93 octane gas so its not that cheap. NO smog shit at all...manifold and open pipes.
                      Unless I suck at math....didnt stop once for gas on 18 gallon tank....so 23 per gallon?
                      Damn. That's really good. On my stock setup (351w/C4 with just a tune up & 2.47 rear gears) I'm only getting around 8mpg on 87 fuel. The carb is all sorts of out of wack but I'll be lucky to ever see your numbers. Congrats on the build!

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Had to roll out dude....did that MAP sensor work for you?
                        Be back for the Dream cruise....you?
                        I think it helped a smidgen. With 13° timing advance I'm seeing north of 16.5mpg on average when it was usually around 15.5mpg.

I just pulled out the Fireturd and drove it nearly 100 miles, we'll be at the dream cruise.
                        Are you coming up for that?

Comment

Somehow my reponse to my gas milage never made it

...I was wrong..the trip I took was 210 miles..so it was 11.6 miles per gallon.

Recently I played with my carb setting including a new spring. I was fouling out plugs left and right
                          ..my throttle response os even better
                          I need rear tires....need to convert to disc brakes as well

Has anyone ever upgraded or mod a C6? is a performance torque convertor ever been in the cards?

Comment

He's alive!

I'll believe 11.6 mpg.

Might want to look into a rear end from a Mark V. Posi + discs.

Comment

Whats up bro....long time no see
                              Hope you had a good cruise...intresting about the rear end...I dont know shit about differentials nor could turn a wrench to do so....I am amazed I got things done to this point

Comment

Yeah man, how are the rides doing? Seems that the barge is still going strong. Cruise was OK, drove the Fireturd to it this year.

I know VERY little about them. I know even less about what the Mark VII's had going on but I want to say they shared the same platform as the Marquis' and LTD's, that or the T-bird/Cougar.. So, if it shares with the Ford & Mercury stuff the rear end should be or be pretty damn close to a bolt in swap. Been trying to read around and I can't find much info on them. Some guys say they're sought after and others say they aren't. Some say the Versailles also had a 9" with discs. Can't confirm that though.

Comment

Working...
                                X