No announcement yet.

1978 Grand Marquis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Progress! And I recognize the location of this picture.
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

So getting there, I have never noticed, but us it normal for the back of my axle housing to look like an ass with a dimple?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210430_153550.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	175.3 KB
ID:	1288959Click image for larger version

Name:	20210430_153541.jpg
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	1288960

1978 Grand Marquis 460 2door "Blue Bomber"

1987 LTD Crown Vic Canadian Tow Package 351w aka the "MI Mountie"

1989 Colony Park ....Marge still lives!

1979 Marquis creamy goodness

Comment

Somebody forgot to wipe I guess. And someone dinged your buttocks too, I wouldn't be too worried unless it leaks from the dent.
        1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
        1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

.... its wiped. Gonna have to really clean the housing of the shrapnel. Looks like axle shafts seem ok but there is a decent dent in the top, so might as well replace them.

Name:	20210501_172517.jpg
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	1288964Click image for larger version

Name:	20210501_172530.jpg
Size:	176.6 KB
ID:	1288965Click image for larger version

Name:	20210501_172640.jpg
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	1288966Click image for larger version

Name:	20210501_173517.jpg
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	1288967Click image for larger version

Name:	20210501_173527.jpg
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	1288968Click image for larger version

Name:	20210501_173556.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	1288969

Comment

wow... that's some carnage.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Wow. You gonna put new gears in that or get another pumpkin?
              1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
              1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
              Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
              Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

New pumpkin..... with 3.70 gear , I can nab one for around $700 new.

So looking at new 28 spline axle shafts, damn just about all of them are "cut to fit", so being that this is breaking my cherry on this axle..... are my axle shafts looking ok to reuse? The only thing I can see potentially wrong is that indentation/dent on the inside of the axle shaft (ok to reuse?) , ....or is it just the splines on the outside and how it mates that matters?

Name:	20210501_173556.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	1288970
                Last edited by Grand1; 05-01-2021, 11:23 PM.

Comment

I think I'd run those axles. The axle bearings are sealed IIRC so they *should* be okay.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

3.70 without OD................
                    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I will bite, whats the best gearing for a C6 then?

Comment

Depends on your style and purpose. I like lazy loafer RPM on the highway. I'd run a 2.75-3.00, 3.25 max. Plus the sub 3.00 are usually cast offs from speed freaks and you can get them in good used shape ready to bolt in because so many pulled them out.

If you are cruising stop light to stop light, you can go numerically higher.

My 74 pickup has 3.73 with the C6 but a 31" tire. It's okay at 55. A couple hours at 75+ I'm certain it would shoot the rods out. Not a cruiser.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Thanks Tig, dont really care for highway driving in general and its a tenfold sentiment driving in the yacht. I get about 11 miles per gallon on a high grade gas no matter if I am idling or joy riding. Yes, I want speed, but not at the detriment of everything else. I want enough oomph to mess with the small, noisy shopping carts (insert honda civic / podbodies with the ugly spoliers) that tailgate and attempt to cut me off. A set of headers are en route from Ford Powertrain Applications and next year , some of the Mad Porters heads ala Reincarnation Automotive. So, I guess 3.5 or 3.25 (leaning towards 3.25)if I am understanding some of the info here.
                          You ever mess with the transmission shift modulator valve to change shift points in that C6?

Comment

Axle shafts: I'm no expert, but I don't see anything that concerns me in those pictures.
                            Rear gear ratio: definitely depends on what you want out of the car as far as what ratio to go with. You have plenty of other long trip/highway cruisers that get at least double the best MPG this car can get when configured for MPGs on its best day. My vote is for fun and on the rare long trip enjoy lower speeds for lower RPMs and/or back roads.
                            Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                            ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                            ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                            ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

What tiggie said.

I figured you've got lots of long stretches of road out by you, so that it would be doing lots of cruising. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Ashley's truck has tires which are about as tall as your car. It's got a 3.42 rear end in it, and in 4th gear (direct, same as your 3rd) it's winging 2000 rpm pretty early, like by 50 mpg. Even with OD, it's pushing about 2300 RPM at 70mph. So if you think it's a pig now on gas.. My vote would be 3.23, what does it have now, a 2.50ish? You'll definitely notice an improvement. I went from 2.73's to 3.23's in my Firebird and noticed something- it's much quicker stoplight to stoplight. Hurt highway MPG a bit- those 3rd gen's are known for really good MPG's, I was used to getting 24 with it, now it's down to 22 or so.
                              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by Grand1 View Post
                                Thanks Tig, dont really care for highway driving in general and its a tenfold sentiment driving in the yacht. I get about 11 miles per gallon on a high grade gas no matter if I am idling or joy riding. Yes, I want speed, but not at the detriment of everything else. I want enough oomph to mess with the small, noisy shopping carts (insert honda civic / podbodies with the ugly spoliers) that tailgate and attempt to cut me off. A set of headers are en route from Ford Powertrain Applications and next year , some of the Mad Porters heads ala Reincarnation Automotive. So, I guess 3.5 or 3.25 (leaning towards 3.25)if I am understanding some of the info here.
                                You ever mess with the transmission shift modulator valve to change shift points in that C6?
                                Haven't messed with it. The trans was rebuilt in the past and it's awesome. No idea why though since it's all a mystery inside. Shifts are always positive and quick. It does get to 3rd pretty quick under light throttle but will hold the gears if you put the hammer down. 3.25 to 3.50 sounds good for your purposes.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Working...
                                X