No announcement yet.

1978 Grand Marquis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Gadget, will do. Got an adjustable pushrod as well.

1978 Grand Marquis 460 2door "Blue Bomber"

1987 LTD Crown Vic Canadian Tow Package 351w aka the "MI Mountie"

1989 Colony Park ....Marge still lives!

1979 Marquis creamy goodness

Comment

yeah the aftermarket adjustable rods don't measure in a particularly easy way. The Ford ones you can just stick in a caliper and they read what the book says they measure. The aftermarket ones are done from the centerline of the spherical end, and since the end isn't completely round you'd need to do some measurements and calculations to figure out what they call it vs what you measure. Or you buy the tool they sell, use it per the instructions and that will tell you what to order. I made my own adjustable pushrod and when I gave them my measurements I got the whole explanation of why I was supposed to buy their tool.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I have 8.55 pushrods now ...this link says 8.62 is what I need (bought two from rockauto). Got an adjustable pushrod as well, jumping in tomorrow.

https://books.google.com/books?id=te...%20460&f=false

Comment

Damn, you are right about the adjustable pushrods, Gadget (I purchased it before your last post) Need to get a digital caliper to measure. Seems like the aftermarket pushrod industry has their own nitch for making money.

Any way, I have read alot and a little confused, the loose rockerarm above is on the exhaust. Seems to be a standard thing with Dove C heads that the exhaust needs a longer pushrod. Got zero lash with adjusting the pushrod up. The thing is with preload, that hydro lifter has completely bleed out.(I can carefully depress the pushrod back) So how I measure preload? Add the tolerance to my pushrod length?

I have also read that valve jobs can definitely change valvetrain geometry....took another look at my old lifters, no gashes, scrapes, or petri dish indentations...no metal in oil filter, so I am assuming the cam didn't wipe.

Comment

Well, the one from Comp doesn't require a caliper really. Fully collapsed its some length, and each turn increases the length by a particular amount. The idea is you count the turns and that tells you how long a pushrod you're supposed to order. I don't know what increments they sell rods for in your style, but on the 302 its in .050 length steps.

If you measure the pushrod where you hit zero lash and add whatever your preload amount is, that ought to be correct. You may need to round to the nearest available size that they actually make that still lands in the OK range.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Got the Comp cams adjustable pushrod, the one I had...if for the birds. I put my stock pushrod (8.55) next to the two pushrods I purchased (8.62 according to Rock Auto)....and the new pushrods are shorter? So either RockAuto spec is wrong, or my past pushrods is not 8.55.

The new pushrods part number is Sealed Power 3252, according to this link, they are 8.64:
              https://www.summitracing.com/parts/slp-rp-3252 Guess, I will buy one for $2, and pay $8 for shipping. Lol

Comment

Ok, I think I figured it out, any comments would be cool.
                Turns out I never had a 8.55 stock pushrod in my valvetrain. Picture below, left to right:

1. First , are the new stock 8.55 pushrods, causing loose rocker arms and chatter.
                2. Second is the 8.62 pushrod I bought for scale.
                3. Last is my old pushrod I decided to compare...notice how it is of substantial length. Weird! I took the Comp Cams pushrod and got 17 revolutions, which comes out to
                17* .05 + 7.8= 8.65!
                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180621_123436614.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	1284202

So I scoured the internet and lone and behold found a Sealed Power pushrod that's 8.693:
                https://www.jegs.com/i/Sealed-Power/844/RP3164/10002/-1
                Last edited by Grand1; 06-22-2018, 07:18 PM.

Comment

any reason for not buying the Comp ones in the length you need?

Comment

The 8.62 Sealed Power Pushrod I already purchased, came out to that exact length, when checking it with the comp cams pushrod checker. I will make sure to measure the new ones....that and there is about $100 difference in price.

Comment

Gadget, is it ok to skip hardened pushrods sine I don't have guideplates?

Comment

yeah as long as it doesn't ride on a guide you don't need a hard pushrod. Thats purely for wear resistance. Understand $100 difference in price for sure.

What heads are these, the stock 1978 ones, or did you change them to some other casting? If its not from the same year, any idea what that year engine wanted for pushrod length? Just thinking if these are stock heads, I wouldn't expect the rod length to change unless you have a reduced base circle cam in there.
                        Last edited by gadget73; 06-23-2018, 01:39 PM.

Comment

I put on different heads (same head each build)..... Dove-C (the smaller chamber 75cc)Heads. Form what I can tell, thats 1970....have heard guys running up to 670 h through them, that's crazy ! The thing that is completely perplexing to me, is that the pushrods that I put in on my first build we're not stock, so I just happened to get the right size pushrods, inadvertently?

Comment

yeah 1970 (D0) Lincoln (V) Engine (E), version or revision -C.

Any idea what the 1970 pushrod length is? I just wonder if thats where you ended up.

If they were the right length last time but too short this time, something changed. Either a thicker head gasket by a lot, or shorter valve stems. I'd guess shorter valves, a head gasket that thick would be stupid. If the cam changed, it may be a different base circle on the cam, or its some mix of all of that.

Comment

Bought the heads used...so after a valvejob and resurfaced heads, may have been done before. Used the same head gasket as last time FelPro permatorque. Will put them in and throw a video up soon. Take a look here

https://books.google.com/books?id=te...%20460&f=false

Thanks Gadget
                              Last edited by Grand1; 06-23-2018, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Success.
                                She purrs like a kitchen...no valve train noise! Ready to roll out.

Comment

Working...
                                X