No announcement yet.

1978 Grand Marquis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I picked one up a few years back when I seen it pop up on eastwoods site. Glad I never had to use it yet. If only having the tools for the job really meant you would never have to do the job......
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210826_125607.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	1289539

I used it for the newlines as well. Definely practiced to dial it in. Niccopper def needs less pressure than standard.

1978 Grand Marquis 460 2door "Blue Bomber"

1987 LTD Crown Vic Canadian Tow Package 351w aka the "MI Mountie"

1989 Colony Park ....Marge still lives!

1979 Marquis creamy goodness

Comment

Never did brakes on one of those but that looks right- hope you hooked up the parking brake cable before putting it all together.

Nicopp kinks much easier though. Oops. Said that a lot my first few times working with it.
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

So, I have purchased a new carb...a Quickfuel 680 Slayer, four corner idle have heard good things. Had a carb fire previously and the old one was beat to shit. Headers will be put on as well, this year.Gonna put a new throttle cable in and will need to remove the seat....since I will do that, its time to get rid of the 40+ year carpet. I bought the mass backing/ too expensive one on RA.

Removed seats very easy, with the exception of the front seat lap belts. Broke a T50 and made the decision that they are staying there. I can cut the carpet to fish those through and honestly its in a position that no one will see it.

Found the only weak point on my underbody/Floorplan. Sanded the shit out of it and other surface rust areas put copious amounts of por-15. Will be doing a fiberglass patch very soon. Sanded the front seat brackets and sprayed rust convertor.

Name:	20220405_143252.jpg
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	1290088Click image for larger version

Name:	20220405_154906.jpg
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	1290089Click image for larger version

Name:	20220405_160658.jpg
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	1290090Click image for larger version

Name:	20220405_160704.jpg
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	1290091Click image for larger version

Name:	20220405_174239.jpg
Size:	177.3 KB
ID:	1290092Click image for larger version

Name:	20220405_181340.jpg
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	1290093

Comment

Patched that hole. Much better. Thats Quickfuel Carb is on and definitely a much noticed response. C6 is starting to slip....new tranny is gonna have to be in the works. Cant complain have absolutely beat the shit out of it.

Name:	20220413_130550.jpg
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	1290111Click image for larger version

Name:	20220413_130553.jpg
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	1290112Click image for larger version

Name:	20220413_130611.jpg
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	1290113Click image for larger version

Name:	20220413_130615.jpg
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	1290114

Comment

Carpet looks great. Fiberglass repair is pretty handy for weak but still intact floor repair.
              1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
              1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
              Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
              Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Carpet looks good. Did you have to do allot of trimming to make it fit ? Did you glue it down around the hump ?

Comment

It wasn't that bad, thought it would be much worse as I am assuming 78 GM coupes dont get new carpeting much. I trimmed like 3/4 inch on each side. The biggest issue was cutting the slits for the driver and passenger side floor seat belt brackets. I should have waited to do so after placing the seat down.....I did it before. The weight of seats pulled the carpet back from my original measurement. Not a drop of glue in case I have to get under there someday.

Comment

Carpet does indeed look good.

Comment

So about my trans slipping. Put it up on stands and started it up. Went under and pulled the line off the transmission modulator, definitely have vaccum.

While I was down there I noticed a leak and traced it down to my trans dipstick. Upon popping it off, the oring was toast. Went to a Ford dealer and no shit, they were able to pull up the part number. I think this would work for c4s and AODs as well. Dropped some Lucas trans slip, mechanic in a bottle and some Type F and ....it shifts fine now. It really is something thinking that a 44 year old trans can live this long.

Name:	20220419_183545.jpg
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	1290127

Comment

Those seals are notorious for that too. I think the 4R7x uses the same one as well.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                        Originally posted by gadget73
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                        Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by Grand1 View Post
                          So about my trans slipping. Put it up on stands and started it up. Went under and pulled the line off the transmission modulator, definitely have vaccum.

While I was down there I noticed a leak and traced it down to my trans dipstick. Upon popping it off, the oring was toast. Went to a Ford dealer and no shit, they were able to pull up the part number. I think this would work for c4s and AODs as well. Dropped some Lucas trans slip, mechanic in a bottle and some Type F and ....it shifts fine now. It really is something thinking that a 44 year old trans can live this long.
                          I like to think that if you don't beat on 'em, aren't a pedal stabber or erratic with throttle action and lock out gears to prevent excessive shifting, they'll last a very long time. I've never had one of mine fail.

Comment

Working...
                          X