1978 Grand Marquis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roger that.
    Just got 3ft of Gates Heater hose, be a shame not to given how accessable they are......... Don't have to take a fender or dash out.

1978 Grand Marquis 460 2door "Blue Bomber"

1987 LTD Crown Vic Canadian Tow Package 351w aka the "MI Mountie"

1989 Colony Park ....Marge still lives!

1979 Marquis creamy goodness

Comment

No, Dexcool is jokingly referred to as "Dexkill" as that's the effect on most cooling systems it comes into contact with haha.

I like to pop the return line for the heater core & open the radiator cap as I stick a hose up to that return line & flush until the gick runs out & looks like clean water. I use standard Prestone engine flush but am thinking of running CLR or something. I don't want to be the first to do that & then ruin something though. Anyone ever try that stuff or something similar when flushing?
      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I've heard it referred to as "Death cool".

I bought some CLR a few days ago to clean out one of my spare JY '90 TC overflow bottles and the thought of using it as a cooling system flush did cross my mind. Although I have no plans to try it.
        Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
        ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
        ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Dexcool is a major no-no in fords. It is the reason my wife's car has a coolant filter on it now. That system is so cruddy.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Thanks for the coolant advice Derek .I like the undiluted piss green coolant, why buy 50% water? Replaced all heater hoses, Gadget. Ran her hard, no leaks...... I will drain in 5 days.

Now it's time for body. Have rust holes in hood. Lightly sanded with 80 git, cleaned and applied POR-15 (small $12 can from Amazon) to stop the bleeding. Cut open my drives side carpet to see rust Need a solid metal weld for the underside of drivers side....then I replace carpet from RockAuto.There are small rust holes, but it is still pretty clean. I love the removable fenders. Thanks for any suggestions.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180725_113615999.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	1284334Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180725_113657185.jpg
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	1284335Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180725_134202368.jpg
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	1284336
            Last edited by Grand1; 07-25-2018, 07:22 PM.

Comment

I stopped buying 100% when I realized Harbor Freight sells premix for the same total price as buying the full strength plus a gallon of distilled water and I didn't have to mix it. If its cheaper to mix, I mix. Auto parts store prices on 50/50 are kind of stupid.

Deathcool gets extra horrible if mixed with anything but itself, or if it gets exposed to air.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

You'll get more from your cooling system if it is diluted. Water on it's own is actually better than straight or even 50/50 from a thermodynamic standpoint. Simply put, it's better at transferring the heat from your engine to the air. Straight coolant is pretty viscous too.

I shall try CLR next time. If it causes a leak, that was just a leak waiting to happen at the best possible time, right?

Comment

I’ve used the full in situations where i’ve flushed with water and about 1/2 the system is water already.

The premixed stuff is nice since you don’t have to worry about distilled water.
                  1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                  1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                  Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                  Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

If you don't have hard water is distilled a big deal? How about Smart Water for our babies?

Comment

Even if you don't have hard water, there will still be other minerals in regular tap water which may cause unwanted buildup in your cooling system.
                      How fast you will notice such buildup might not be fast enough for you to care, but pure distilled water is the way to go.
                      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Originally posted by Grand1 View Post
                        If you don't have hard water is distilled a big deal? How about Smart Water for our babies?
                        Check the ingredients label. Anything with a chloride in it means you have the perfect recipe for rust. I have used good well water without problems but I wouldn’t dare use my current water from the local water treatment facility. If you have well water and it’s not acidic, you will probably be okay.
                        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

What da Tig and Vic said.
                          I used to use tap water before I began to learn about chlorides and the effects of them in terms of accelerating rust. Why I do just buy 50/50. And admittedly, I use the garden hose to flush my cooling systems so there is some water in there when done.

Comment

Rustproof with rubber undercoating.
                            Stage one: two front wheel wells

Wire brush, sandpaper, degreaser, shop towels,and a sheet ton of elbow grease... let dry. Hit the rust spots with converter, need to rest for 24hrs for before undercoating.

Name:	IMG_20180726_102630468.jpg
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	1284339

Name:	IMG_20180726_131547051.jpg
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	1284340

Comment

Looking better already.
                              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Thanks man.
                                Random Pic of tachometer not working.

Locked my keys in my trunk like a dumbass, lol took off dash pad, and jumped truck release. Where the electrical tape is.

Name:	IMG_20180723_153518938.jpg
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	1284344

Comment

Working...
                                X