No announcement yet.

1978 Grand Marquis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, looking good. Those the original ball joints? Boot looks too good for that to be true.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Replaced awhile back. Will say I have to change to monotube KYB absorbers, the Excel KYB just not cutting it.

Anyway, more body stuff.
      Degreasing, cleaning scraping, underneath back bumper end. Hit with rust converter. Being nice to my fenders. Going to wait to apply the Bondo rubberized spray.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180727_132635580.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	1284350Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180727_132357106.jpg
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	1284351

1978 Grand Marquis 460 2door "Blue Bomber"

1987 LTD Crown Vic Canadian Tow Package 351w aka the "MI Mountie"

1989 Colony Park ....Marge still lives!

1979 Marquis creamy goodness

Comment

Originally posted by Grand1 View Post
        If you don't have hard water is distilled a big deal? How about Smart Water for our babies?
        Well water with iron and maganese problems here. After the softener sometimes its kind of salty, depending on what the system is doing. It used to be yellow and stinky even after treatment, new well at least gives me clear water and ice cubes that don't make drinks taste bad. For the $1 a gallon distilled costs, I just don't want to deal with any possible problems.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks for the coolant knowledge.
          Got a question regarding my body work. I sprayed rust reformer, and hit some unrusted spots (light coat). Which may or may not adhere to the unrusted portions. Now, if I start the rubberized undercoating, would that cause the unrusted portions to be susceptible to rust?

Comment

What brand of rust reformer?

If it’s one that turns the rust darker, almost wet looking, I’d say you might have an issue since it’s more of a chemical converter only and requires rust to work.

If it’s one that looks like a coat of primer when finished, you’re likely okay since it’s similar to a protective coating.

It never hurts to call the manufacturer to be sure since there are several approaches to rust prevention/protection/conversion.

Body work guys have told me that rust removal is the only option if you really want to be rid of rust. They are a bit picky but rightfully whe talking about thousands of dollars of paint job on top.
            1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
            1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
            Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
            Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Looks like I may have an issue, damn.
              It was Rustolem Rust Renovator. I used a total of 1.5 cans on 2/5 length of my barge. (Pics above) I did spray it at the big rust spots, but also hit some unrusted metal areas as well. Should just strip it?

Comment

This stuff? https://www.rustoleum.com/product-ca...rust-reformer/

I have used it before as primer and it works fine on non rusted metal. It’s sprays black. You are good to go. If in doubt, scuff a bit with 180ish grit. If it sands, you are good. If it peels (after the full drying time on the label), that’s a bad sign.

I used some other stuff before that was clear going on and turned dark brown or black. Those stayed gummy/didn’t cure on bare metal.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Thanks alott Tiggie.
                  That's the stuff I used.
                  Done some research online and heard the merits and horror stories of rubberized undercoating. Some say get rust off, convert, then preventive sprays like Fluid Firm.....due to the undercoating sealing /letting in moisture after a rock hits.

What's your experience?

Comment

Good undercoat applied and actually sticking is good stuff. Problem is most people don’t clean and prep before and it seals in dirt or doesn’t stick and starts peeling to create those moisture pockets. You seem to have it prepped pretty well.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Found in my glove compartment, looks like previous owner had some questions too, lol

Name:	IMG_20180728_230205743.jpg
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	1284353

Looks like the undercarriage was proofed back in the day "TUFF-KOTE DINOL"

Name:	IMG_20180728_230714048_BURST001.jpg
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	1284354

Comment

The Scab had the same rust proofing applied by the original owner. Although my car had some serious rust/rot issues.
                        Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                        ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                        ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Yeah, what Tig said about surface prep is right on. Needs to be clean to promote good adhesion. I would not suggest rubberized undercoatings as those trap moisture and all that'll do is promote rot holes. De rust, clean, paint and then spray Krown or Fluid film on it annually. Town Car of mine gets Krowned annually and is good & oily underneath. No rust or rot.
                          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

There are places where degreaser and a flat head won't scrape the crud out. So I am cleaning, wire brushing, and hitting the rust with converter where I can. Then going to Fluid Firm. Don't want to bury a potential rust bomb.

Now to take off this old Ford blue spray paint, over the rust that was forming. Pure idiocy whomever did it.

Name:	IMG_20180723_132618049.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	1284357

Comment

Grinded out the rust with a shitty Harbor Freight sander...removed price of trim. Gonna try and feather a little more. My rear fender is at Paint Shop for color duplication. $20.00 for a pint.

Comment

Fender getting better, can't make them look to good to much better/ clash with my "patina"ala vintage look. Any tips for painting over Rust Reformer(touchup).? Got the paint

Name:	IMG_20180727_093944398.jpg
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	1284371Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180728_175610188.jpg
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	1284373Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180802_201728711.jpg
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	1284374
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X