Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Way To Change Odometer Reading?

Hey Guys,

What's the best way to change the odometer reading? I have my 140mph speedometer in and it shows somewhere in the 74k area. My actual odometer is around 17k. (That's at least 117k... might be 217k. Who knows.)

Spinning it on a drill will take forever. It's 43k miles forward and 57k miles backwards.

I saw another thread talking about punching out a pin but I don't remember seeing one in there.

If I take out the worm gear, will the odometer freely spin? To do that, do I have to take the needle off? I'm a little afraid to mess with that. The spare '87 85 mph speedometer I have something happened with that little needle spring in it and now it just sits down at the bottom of the housing. (I don't remember exactly what happened, and unfortunately I don't currently have it disassembled.)

Here's what the inside of the 140mph speedometer looks like:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	8_speedo_odometer_gears.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	191.0 KB
ID:	1302851

Click image for larger version

Name:	7_cluster_speedo_back.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	221.1 KB
ID:	1302852

Thanks,
    -Erik

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

I've done a few of those.
    They can be done by hand but you have to get everything just right or it will not work properly.
    If you've never done this I would suggest finding some one that can do it for you.
    Once they are messed up it's a PITA to set right.

Comment

Its that pin you have pictured. It slides out, and the connecting gears come out. You have to roll the digits where they go, then re-assemble it. It takes a few tries to get it all together and have the numbers line up right. Often you'll get the digits partially out of line, and you will have to pull it apart to fix it if that happens. The pin only comes out in one direction, but you'll have to look at it to figure it out. One end is smaller. Push on that end and it comes out the other side.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Ok. Cool thanks. I have two spare odometers to play around with before messing with the real deal. I'll give it a shot and see how it goes.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Working...
        X