Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need help scalping the Townie. Aka vinyl top replacement. Anyone have pics or info?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need help scalping the Townie. Aka vinyl top replacement. Anyone have pics or info?

The $300 townie, has a vinyl top that looks like it lost a fight with a mountain lion.
    I'm not going to bother turning it into a slick top, rather I'd like to put a new one on.
    I've found a supplier online that can duplicate the top for a reasonable price if I can
    get the back foot or so off relatively intact.

I'm tempted to start tearing into it, but I want to know what I'm getting into before damaging something that will be hard to replace.
    I know that it has the fiberglass panel or something that holds the smaller rear window, but I have no idea if it's attached to the top, or the window frame, etc.

So, has anyone here scalped a townie before? I'd appreciate some pointers.
    Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
    AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
    Open/Lock/Ratio #
    -----------------------
    G / H / 2.26
    B / C / 2.47
    8 / M / 2.73
    7 / - / 3.07
    Y / Z / 3.08
    4 / D / 3.42
    F / R / 3.45
    5 / E / 3.27
    6 / W / 3.73
    2 / K / 3.55
    A / - / 3.63
    J / - / 3.85

Get a pre cut top from a company that specializes in tops. I have got all the tops that way with no problems. I bought mine from a supplier in Los Angeles Ca. I might have the receipt. I have had every top done by a professional shop. Only one shop that was bad. Every shop has said that the biggest problem was the band that goes across the middle. Labor intensive. Have the headliner and visors redone at the same time or your will regret it. The fiberglass part at the rear does not come off to do the top. I know someone here on the forum had a major problem driving around on the freeway and the wind tearing off the fiberglass part.

Comment

Half top or full? They come apart somewhat differently. The half tops require removal of the headliner so you can get the belt off the middle of the roof. The coach lamps come out, the trim around the doors comes out, and the trim around the bottom of the trunk. The B pillar panels inside the car have to come out for the coach lamps. The stuff around the bottom edge has a number of little nuts you get to from inside the trunk. I think the front couple of pins are a pry out sort of thing, but the ones you can get to inside the trunk are nutted. If it has rear window trim, that comes out too. The side window trim is a pain but it will come out if you very carefully pry it out. Basically once all the shiny bits are off, you can start peeling it. The full tops come off similar, but you do not need to remove the headliner, and you will need to remove the windshield trim. The trim around the front door also will have to come out. Lacquer thinner cuts the glue, but flashes off quick.

I sort of wish I remembered specifics of de-trimming better, but on the other hand I'm glad to have forgotten some of the more painful details of it all

Nick and Scott did most of the removal of the trim and top on my car. A guy that does upholstery and vinyl tops and happens to live about 2 miles down the road from Scott installed it using a pre-cut top from whatever supplier he uses. Mine was actually less to do as a full top car vs the half tops though. The full tops are a single piece of vinyl, no fiberglass nonsense. The half tops are one piece for the top, and I think 4 on the belted part. The guy told me that the belts are such a pain in the neck to do that he charges an extra $100 for those cars. I presume removing it yourself saves some too, most people don't want to fool with the headliner. Another advantage to a full top, the headliner does not need to come out. The disadvantage is that my A pillar rotted out and part of the roof had to be replaced.
      Last edited by gadget73; 02-12-2015, 06:01 PM.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks Gadget.

Mine is the full vinyl top. The vinyl goes right up to the glass as if it's wrapped around some piece of trim hidden underneath. Please tell me that it isn't made of some brittle plastic.

If you don't mind me asking, what did they charge to install your top?

Axle codes
        Open/Lock/Ratio #
        -----------------------
        G / H / 2.26
        B / C / 2.47
        8 / M / 2.73
        7 / - / 3.07
        Y / Z / 3.08
        4 / D / 3.42
        F / R / 3.45
        5 / E / 3.27
        6 / W / 3.73
        2 / K / 3.55
        A / - / 3.63
        J / - / 3.85

Comment

"Scalping my Towncar"

I love this.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
          The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
          It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Well, I am part American Indian...

Axle codes
            Open/Lock/Ratio #
            -----------------------
            G / H / 2.26
            B / C / 2.47
            8 / M / 2.73
            7 / - / 3.07
            Y / Z / 3.08
            4 / D / 3.42
            F / R / 3.45
            5 / E / 3.27
            6 / W / 3.73
            2 / K / 3.55
            A / - / 3.63
            J / - / 3.85

Comment

I am actually curious about the vinyl tops too. I seem to be having some trouble finding info on the net. Guess I will have to start calling places.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
              1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
              1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
              2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
              2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

I got a quote from a place here on Long Island and they said they would do a half top for $600. I think it was in Franklin Square...

When my Cadillac's window was busted by some punks at night, a place in Hicksville called "Automat" estimated a whole top and window replacement for that car at around $2000. (Which was absurd).

So around here the prices vary a lot but it's still pretty pricey in the end anyway. (The reason my ripped to shreds top hasn't been replaced yet)

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

The front and rear glass trim is aluminum and clips to standard steel windshield trim clips. There is a rivet in the body and a keyhole slot in the clip. Some may break, but you can get new ones easy enough. Side glass trim is also aluminum, but its thin and easy to bend up. Just be careful with it. Its all very thin and easy to turn into scrap metal. The only plastic involved is the corner bits in the trim around the front and rear windows. The trim there is supposed to come out in one piece, and it goes from A pillar to C pillar. The corners at the rear edge of the front door and the front edge of the rear door have a plastic brace on the back side and it tends to crack. Luckily the trim will stay in there without it but you might have a slight gap in the corners. Once you get the trim off, the top basically just tucks in under the clips. The front glass was removed from my car, but not to deal with the top. That was because of the roof. The rear side glass and the rear window have not been out.

I want to say the top was 600 but its been a couple years and there was a ton of other money spent on a ton of other things at that time. I've tried to block out particulars so as to minimize the pain

If the Caddy had one of those fiberglass tops, 2k might not be as bad as you think. To get the rear glass out, you have to remove the top, then the shell, and then finally the glass. The shell glues to the metal of the body, so you have to get all that cut loose and get the shell off in one piece, then get it all back together again. The cloth top cars have the same setup, and its not cheap to deal with. Vinyl glued to metal is a lot less to deal with.
                  Last edited by gadget73; 02-13-2015, 06:22 PM.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

What year townie? I have a stack of the chrome pieces from a vinyl top.

1990 Colony Park, with HO swap.

Previously:
                    1990 Lincoln Town Car Cartier.
                    88 CVLX
                    01 Marquis

Comment

Originally posted by piranah View Post
                      What year townie? I have a stack of the chrome pieces from a vinyl top.
                      89 Townie.
                      I might be interested if they fit.

Axle codes
                      Open/Lock/Ratio #
                      -----------------------
                      G / H / 2.26
                      B / C / 2.47
                      8 / M / 2.73
                      7 / - / 3.07
                      Y / Z / 3.08
                      4 / D / 3.42
                      F / R / 3.45
                      5 / E / 3.27
                      6 / W / 3.73
                      2 / K / 3.55
                      A / - / 3.63
                      J / - / 3.85

Comment

a slicktop wouldnt be horriable, trim is pretty straight forward, once you de vynil the car youll need to scrape glue residue off with medium paint reducer and a razor blade, least thats what ive found works best. then you respray glue after everything is dried and cleaned, let tack and then lay down your padding, after that you can spray more glue and slide the top on, and after various stretching and what not you can begin the trimming process, and re applying trim as you go along......I sorta helped out with thains top
                        89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Working...
                        X