Weirdness when Googling Site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weirdness when Googling Site

I've noticed that if you "Google" Grandmarq.net and click the first link it's a virus that both my work computer, laptop, and home PC running different AV software both pick up. Something about "Filestore" or something like that and it tries to get you to allow a spoof install of Adobe Flash.

Just wanted to give a heads up, and see if it can be looked at.

If you have a bookmark or just type the address in all is fine.
    2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
    2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
    Past Panthers
    1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
    if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

this has been happening to me too!

Comment

Is it really that hard to type in grandmarq.net?
      I tried googling it and the link for this page comes right up, highlighted purple as if I'd been there before, click and a page came up that was not here but only once, second time it came right here.
      1989 Country Squire - Twilight Blue, 347 stroker

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Comment

Typing it in is not the problem, he is typing it in but he is typing it into google search.
        By default or depending on the browser or settings, if you just open the browser and type grandmarq.net then hit enter you will be entering grandmarq.net into google search and not the address bar. Having worked at a help desk (for automotive technicians) I know that it is very common for people to either not know the difference between the address bar and the google search bar or they simply don't care that they have to click a link before getting to where they wanted to go (even though it's an extra unnecessary click).

I can definitely appreciate that he pointed it out, he's trying to help others out and I think a fair number of people can benefit from this information.

Basically BlackVic_P71 is right, just type it into the address bar not the google (or bing, yahoo, etc.) seach. Unless the browser defaults to treating the address bar as a search if the address is not prefixed with www. or http://www. (I think MS IE may behave that way but I try to avoid IE).
        Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
        ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
        ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

It's not hard at all... many many people swear by searching for a site rather than typing into the address bar to avoid a typo that takes you to a rogue site. I'm pointing it out because something is wrong, with the Google link. I'd hate for the site to get blacklisted on firewalls because of it (at the work place, etc) or people searching for info think it's a bad site
          2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
          2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
          Past Panthers
          1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
          if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Originally posted by tjc78 View Post
            It's not hard at all... many many people swear by searching for a site rather than typing into the address bar to avoid a typo that takes you to a rogue site. I'm pointing it out because something is wrong, with the Google link. I'd hate for the site to get blacklisted on firewalls because of it (at the work place, etc) or people searching for info think it's a bad site
            Yeah or new people hearing about the site at another forum, Googling it to find the address and getting a virus.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

I think the original post was VERY useful to alert those that need to know of the issue! I have the site, bookmarked, on IE 11 and use it without a problem but for those that use Google, this shouldn't happen and should be looked into.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by tjc78 View Post
                That is a good point, one typo could take you somewhere you never wanted to be (or somewhere that could get you into trouble), I don't know why that point never fully crossed my mind.
                I do search for a few sites that I don't visit often because I can never remember the name and don't want to bookmark or add it to favorites or I'm just not on the computer where it was bookmarked.
                It makes much more sense to me now why typing the address into google might be the preferred method for many.
                Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

I just went to www.grandmarq.net and got this. Apparently there seems to be some kind of injection hack on the redirect page. Not sure if it's our website or the webhost itself though. Doesn't happen every time either.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	GMN trojen info.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	1277054

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Could be us. The version of VB is several old now and I can't log in to their damn site to download the current version. I don't have the password and I think it might send it to an old email of Tom's. I asked them about it, and they basically told me to shove off.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                      Could be us. The version of VB is several old now and I can't log in to their damn site to download the current version. I don't have the password and I think it might send it to an old email of Tom's. I asked them about it, and they basically told me to shove off.
                      Who is actually paying for this site? They would be the ones to talk to the site's tech folks.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

Comment

Whoah, thanks for pointing this out TJC!
                        I tried it, and sure enough, it happened to me, only the first time.
                        Can anyone try just typing www.grandmarq.net into a browser and see if it happens that way too?

I pay the bills these days, but that's about it. Getting the software license thing figured out was something we needed to do anyway, something like this is a good reason to and get that updated.
                        I definitely want to do what I can to make sure GMN is around forever, or at least until the apocalypse, lol
                        Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                        sigpic
                        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Just tried it using Windows 7 and IE11. Typed the address into the address bar and the site came right up as normal. Only did it once so maybe I got lucky???

Comment

I can't get it to hit me again (or my anti-virus is keeping it from even happening any more).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                            Originally posted by gadget73
                            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                            Originally posted by dmccaig
                            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                            X