Tune Required on throttle body swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tune Required on throttle body swap?

So I just happened across a BBK 70MM DBW throttle body on eBay for cheap months back. Was planning on doing some sort of upper plenum, when/if I ever plan on doing the install. What my question is, is a tune required? Obviously to get the most out of the setup, a tune would be necessary. Should I just wait to get a tune before doing the install? I've heard conflicting answers on this. I would imagine, that a properly functioning MAF, should more than adequately learn the new airflow capabilities of a larger throttle body, no? Shouldn't effect driveability?

BTW 2008 CVPI
    Last edited by Primalzer; 03-02-2015, 05:45 PM.
    2008 Ford CVPI ex Boone County, MO Sheriff

You'll be fine with the new tb.
    I'd tack on a few more mods (like your upper plenum) before going with the tune.

-ryan s.
    08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
    03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
    97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
    94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
    73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
    12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
    Originally posted by pantera77
    Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Originally posted by SVT98t View Post
      You'll be fine with the new tb.
      I'd tack on a few more mods (like your upper plenum) before going with the tune.

-ryan s.
      Yeah, the upper plenum would go on with the TB.
      2008 Ford CVPI ex Boone County, MO Sheriff

Comment

Even better.

Maybe tack on some under drive pullies and do the J-Mod.

Just suggestions.

You can find a good set of Steeda under drives on eBay or Corral.net if you're patient and look around. I got a used set of $90 on eBay.

-ryan s.
        08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
        03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
        97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
        94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
        73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
        12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
        Originally posted by pantera77
        Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

+1 for no tune required for just the 70mm throttle body. For pre-05 (before DBW, but not sure how far back), you can get compatible Ford 70mm throttle bodies from certain Econoline vans and a few other vehicles. Here's a link to a post setting out my experience for my 2000 MGM in a CVN thread dealing with the pre-05 swap:

http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/u...41#Post2984441
          Last edited by IPreferDIY; 12-26-2015, 09:37 PM.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
          mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Many 2006+ cars do not run well without the tune for the larger TB. I ran a 75mm on my 2005's with no problem but Chris(ADTR) won't carry the BBK DBW throttle bodies due to numerous customer issues.
            1989 Country Squire - Twilight Blue, 347 stroker

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Comment

Here's a thread that might be helpful for folks with DBW:

http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/u...2716942&page=1

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
              mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Originally posted by IPreferDIY View Post
                Here's a thread that might be helpful for folks with DBW:

http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/u...2716942&page=1
                Another 2005
                1989 Country Squire - Twilight Blue, 347 stroker

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Comment

Working...
                X