Hello from New Yowk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from New Yowk

Hi, I'm 19 and from Long Island, New York. Bought a 2001 Mercury Grand Marquis GS with 53k miles young. As of now has 63k miles and drives nicely . Was introduced to this car by a friend who was drunk and I had to drive her home with her car. She has a 2003 Mercury grand marquis GS also and I fell in love the way it drove and how comfortable it is! My parents knew that I liked that car and got me one for graduation (car was ONLY 3,500$) It needed some suspension work (balljoints, control arms) and new brake pads and rotors. But the car has no scratches or has no dings! Paint is mint! I figured to join forums since that is what most guys my age do when they get a car lol........

This is mine Click image for larger version

Name:	car 2.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	1302875

Welcome!

My 1989 MGM GS 50th Anniversary Edition was also my high school graduation gift from my parents. The car was 14 years old when I got it. My dad bought it at an auction for $200 somewhere on the east cost and drove it home to Michigan. He rebuilt the engine after daily driving it for a few months and then gave the car to me a few months after that. I ran it as my DD for nearly 10 years/110,000 miles before getting my 91 MGM a couple years ago.
    The 89 has been parked since I swapped the trans with my 91. I would love to restore my 89 eventually but we'll see how the cards play out.

Anyway, welcome and enjoy your ride.
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Welcome!

New control arms (including ball joints) should last at least 100,000 miles, so it was money well spent. The Pitman arm, idler arm, and tie rod ends will go eventually, so you might want to factor that eventuality into your maintenance schedule. Also, I've heard 03's came with soft rear axles that have to be replaced prematurely, so your friend might want to plan ahead if they haven't become an issue yet. At least you folks probably won't have to worry about replacing the intake manifolds, which used to have plastic coolant crossovers. (My understanding is Ford addressed this problem in 2001.)

I just provided a rustproofing tip to someone else, and the same would apply to you:

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post750558

Enjoy!

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
      mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

welcome to the party, if your on fb ny panther owners as well
        89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Welcome to the Party!!

-ryan s.
          08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
          03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
          97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
          94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
          73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
          12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
          Originally posted by pantera77
          Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Welcome! You should invite your friend to join also.
            '79 Continental Town Car
            '90 Crown Victoria LTD
            '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Welcome here New York.

Comment

Welcome from NYC, via Valley Stream, via Brooklyn!!

Comment

Working...
                X