Belts For 1987 GM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Belts For 1987 GM

Anyone remember how many belts are on the 5.0 with A/C? Haven't done it in a while and with so much other stuff going on I can't seem to remember. I have a JK6506 and JK6604 as new spares. If you know the Motorcraft/Ford numbers and where each one goes that would be great. If you have Gates or Goodyear I guess I can look up the cross references. Not sure if I have the OEM diagram under the hood - would have to take a peak but it won't give me the numbers. I think the Alternator and A/C belt is one but not sure about smog and P/S. I seem to remember there are 3 belts but could be mistaken. Any and all help would be most appreciated. Thanks...Bobby

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Don't remember the numbers, but there are two belts on the Panther 5.0. One runs the alternator, power steering pump and water pump. The other one runs the AC compressor and smog pump.
    1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

Originally posted by HiFiMerc View Post
      Don't remember the numbers, but there are two belts on the Panther 5.0. One runs the alternator, power steering pump and water pump. The other one runs the AC compressor and smog pump.
      How far back in model years is this applicable? Didn't the early Panther 302s still use V-belts?
      RyPow
      1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX sedan - The "Sand Box" - 73K, towing package
      1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX Tutone Tudor - '96 Explorer 5.0 + 5spd swap in the works
      1985 Lincoln Town Car Cartier - previously owned by "navguy12" from thelincolnforum.net
      2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited, 102k, daily driver
      2006 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, 115k, winter beats
      1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car, 42k
      2012 F-150 5.0L 4x4, HD payload pkg (towing/hauling)
      2015 Toyota RAV4 XLE AWD (better half's)

Comment

Originally posted by RyPow View Post
        How far back in model years is this applicable? Didn't the early Panther 302s still use V-belts?
        My '83 uses the same belts as my '91, stock.

However parts catalogs will list V-belts for certain applications (e.g. dealer retrofit A/C on early cars). Obviously they're not the most accurate sources and should be fact-checked of course...

Current driver: wagon
        Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
        | 88 TC | 91 GM
        Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
        Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
        | Junkyards

Comment

Think I have it figured out. There are two belts. One for Alternator and P/S (JK6506) and the other for A/C and Smog Pump (JK6604). They are Goodyear 4060500/500K6MK and 4060600/600K6MK. Not sure what they are in Gates or other brands but this should help for comparison sake. One could always cross reference these results. Hope it may help my fellow "box mangs"!! Bobby

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

Comment

Not "V" Belts but ribbed flat belts.

Comment

Originally posted by RyPow View Post
              Pretty sure only 79's had V-belts along with all their other 1 year only things.
              2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
              2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
              2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
              1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

I second seeing 79's with V belts.
                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Working...
                X