Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1985 CV, from stock cam to mustang HO cam, and upgrade problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1985 CV, from stock cam to mustang HO cam, and upgrade problems?

Hey guys,

I have a 1985 crown victoria, 5.0L 302 that I'm planning on tweaking a bit. I plan on finding some cheap heads gt40 or gt40p (and associated headers) eventually and was wondering if I can swap a 1988 HO stock mustang cam in it. I realize I would probably need link bar roller lifters becuase I dont think it's a roller block, but would I need to change the firing order to match the 88' HO cam, and would it affect anything? I plan on switching to a better weiand intake, and to a 4v carb as well.
    Keeping it for a daily, not strip car. The car has 65k miles, no A/C.

Basically going to be getting while staying on budget:
    1)better heads
    2)stock HO cam????
    3)weiand intake
    4)4V carb
    5)headers

Thanks,
    Attached Files

1985 LTD Crown Vic, factory hard top, 302 soon to be gt40p headed (lightly ported & blended), summit brand stealth (port matched), stock cam, summit annular 600cfm VS, dual exhaust, 3.55 LSD, AOD, electric fan swap, tan interior.

If you plan on doing any performance mods, your gonna have to ditch the CFI, but it sounds like you have that covered. Your correct, an 85 should be flat tappet. Yes, the cam dictates the firing order.
    Are you opposed to an engine swap? A JY explorer long block would be a much better foundation.

Honestly, before any of that though, I'd do gears, and beef up the stock AOD, those early ones are pretty weak.
    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
      If you plan on doing any performance mods, your gonna have to ditch the CFI, but it sounds like you have that covered. Your correct, an 85 should be flat tappet. Yes, the cam dictates the firing order.
      Are you opposed to an engine swap? A JY explorer long block would be a much better foundation.

Honestly, before any of that though, I'd do gears, and beef up the stock AOD, those early ones are pretty weak.
      Its a 2V carb and cast iron intake currently. I guess some 85' models were carbed.
      What do you imply when you mean beefing up the stock AOD, like torque converter or something? And yea for sure, itleats 3.55 or even 3.73, but I'd like to itleats keep some mileage.

1985 LTD Crown Vic, factory hard top, 302 soon to be gt40p headed (lightly ported & blended), summit brand stealth (port matched), stock cam, summit annular 600cfm VS, dual exhaust, 3.55 LSD, AOD, electric fan swap, tan interior.

Comment

Is it a Canadian model?

3.55 or 3.73's are both good choices IMO.

Bare minimum a shift kit, higher stall convertor and if you run the HO cam (or similar), you'll need a HO governor.
        2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
        2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
        2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
        1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
          Is it a Canadian model?

3.55 or 3.73's are both good choices IMO.

Bare minimum a shift kit, higher stall convertor and if you run the HO cam (or similar), you'll need a HO governor.
          Yes I believe it is a canadian model.

Comment

If doing link bar lifters you might as well throw a small used cam in it lol..............flip side is you could do a nice hyd. flat tappet for less money bbbuuttt i'm definitely a fan of going roller.........pantera hit the nail on the head with the explorer swap from a cost perspective....you could get the motor for nearly what the cheapest lifters cost new..........an A servo or equivalent is a worthwhile AOD upgrade also.........

Great looking car BTW

P.S. Dont forget to upgrade the dizzy gear....dont wanna chew it up with the roller cam.........
            Rodney Tolleson, me at the track.....future drag box racer!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Blue View Post
              If doing link bar lifters you might as well throw a small used cam in it lol..............flip side is you could do a nice hyd. flat tappet for less money bbbuuttt i'm definitely a fan of going roller.........pantera hit the nail on the head with the explorer swap from a cost perspective....you could get the motor for nearly what the cheapest lifters cost new..........an A servo or equivalent is a worthwhile AOD upgrade also.........

Great looking car BTW

P.S. Dont forget to upgrade the dizzy gear....dont wanna chew it up with the roller cam.........
              Im actually considering buying an upgraded intake, to a 4V carb (2v carbs are brutal..), headers just to get the most out of it currently (and get rid of smog pump), new gears, then eventually down the road maybe find a explorer long block and throw a HO mustang cam in there. Relatively cheap and I can spread it out over time, & throw the parts on that. Regardless of heads/cam, I still think its getting choked with those cast iron boat anchors they call manifolds.

The engine is so low miles that I don't want to swap it right now.
              IF ANYTHING, I could throw a better flat tappet cam in possibly....Still not for a while though.

Comment

Some 1985 blocks are roller capable if you install the hardware from a later motor. Some are not. You'd have to pop the intake off to see, or you'll have to find the block casting number to look it up. I think its over on the side by the starter, and the roller capable block is likely an E5 or E6 part number. If its an E2 or E3, that will be a flat tappet cam only block. If there are raised bosses in the middle of the lifter galley that look like a bolt ought to go in there, you have a roller compatible block. I think you will need to drill and tap the holes, but that should be no big issue.

If its not roller compatible, I'd swap the whole motor. Link bar lifters will work, but a set will cost more than the shortblock is worth. Those had crappy pistons and none of the rest of it is special either. For all the bother and expense of converting it, you can just swap it to a later block that has better pistons. If you're looking to upgrade the heads anyway, dropping a complete Explorer motor in there is definitely the way to go.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                X