99 Grand Marquis 4R70W rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

99 Grand Marquis 4R70W rebuild

This transmission started to vibrate and shudder in 3rd and 4th gear. Eventually, the transmission overheated and started dumping fluid out the vent on the top of the case. When the car was parked, all the fluid dumped out all over the parking lot.

This is a low mileage car with 87K on the odometer. The fluid is black, burned and has water in it. With the pan removed there is heavy clutch material on the magnet and about an 1/8" of fluid/water sludge in the bottom of the pan.

The OD band is burned and all the clutches are damaged and de-laminating from water intrusion. The direct clutches are the worst with 60% of the friction material flaked off and burned. To make matters worse the clutch material had piled up in the bottom of the clutch drum which essentially forced the clutch to be engaged all the time.

The valve body separator plate is rusted from water contamination. The pressure regulator valve has radial scoring all the way around with one shiny spot from wear.

During the process of cleaning parts, I found the direct clutch piston was cracked at the check valve. Good thing for spare parts.

2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
    89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
    88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Thats ugly. Fording water, or parked in an unfortunate location? Rear axle getting opened up to for a fluid r&r?

Comment

Owner frequents quick oil change places. they didn't seat the transmission dip stick in the filler tube. water drained off the wiper cowl into the dipstick tube.
      2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
      89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
      88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Working...
      X