Air bag steering wheel swap possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air bag steering wheel swap possible?

Anyone know If the later 98 on up steering wheel and air bag will work on a 90 box?
    Tired of the dumb horn button location in 90
    And like the feel of the later p71 steering wheels

Originally posted by 9t3lightning View Post
    Anyone know If the later 98 on up steering wheel and air bag will work on a 90 box?
    Tired of the dumb horn button location in 90
    And like the feel of the later p71 steering wheels
    If you can find an early build MY98 CV (build year late 1997), those allegedly have the first generation airbags, which should work. Later 1998s and up have second gen airbags, which are a no-go. You can also get a steering wheel from a '96-'97 since those are first generation airbags too, and IMO look better than the 1998+ "blob" wheels.

This is a pic of one from a '96-'97:

The primary difference between the '90-'95 wheels and the '96-'98 wheels is the connector on the clock spring for the steering wheel controls. The airbag connector should have remained the same up until at least 1997. That means if you're inclined, you just need to cut off your old steering wheel control connector from your '90 clock spring and then attach the "new" one from the donor car (so you don't have to replace your clock spring with a newer unit), then install the newer wheel. I did the reverse swap on my 1997 and put a 1993 steering wheel in my car, specifically for the horn buttons, lol.

My Cars:
    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Ok thanks
      Added it to the u pull it spring junkyard run

Comment

The early bomb wheels really do have a shit horn location. My Mark VII has one of those. 4 small buttons, FU. I actually need to find a decent black Towncar one for that car. The Mark wheel has perforated leather, and the black goo is starting to come up through the holes. Towncar ones are smooth leather, no oozing.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

So would a crown Vic wheel 96/97 work then too? Other then the emblem of the air bag are they identical?

Comment

yup

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

How timely.
              2008-dual stage airbag: What year range is compatable with it? Be it F150, Mustang, Lincoln, Mercury. I do not like the feel of the 2008 Crown Vic wheel.
              If I knew that I could put a GM truck wheel in it, I would do that to.

Alex.

Comment

Originally posted by GM_Guy View Post
                How timely.
                2008-dual stage airbag: What year range is compatable with it? Be it F150, Mustang, Lincoln, Mercury. I do not like the feel of the 2008 Crown Vic wheel.
                If I knew that I could put a GM truck wheel in it, I would do that to.

Alex.
                You can only use a 2005-2011 Panther wheel in your Crown Vic. Ford redesigned the column for '05 which added that new wheel, so none of the older wheels fit and other Ford models used different mounting styles. You could try finding a leather wrapped wheel or a Town Car wheel with wood grain, since those are about your only other options.

9t3lightning, I forgot to mention, the newer '96+ cars use a Torx bolt (IIRC, it was a T50) to hold the wheel versus the a standard bolt found on the older wheels, so you might want that Torx bit available for use on a ratchet if you decide to pull a newer wheel.
                Last edited by Kodachrome Wolf; 03-17-2015, 03:32 PM.

My Cars:
                -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

hm, if the stuff through 1996 at least swaps backward, I know what I'll be after soonish. The 95-96 Townie wheel is much less awkward looking than the old bomb. Wonder if I can find that in black.
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks for the heads up on the Torx bolt

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                      hm, if the stuff through 1996 at least swaps backward, I know what I'll be after soonish. The 95-96 Townie wheel is much less awkward looking than the old bomb. Wonder if I can find that in black.
                      I forgot about the '95-'97 Town Cars, lol. That should work, too.

Would you like me to keep an eye out down here for a black one? I seem to get lucky every so often with my junkyard.

My Cars:

Comment

There's a black 1997 Town Car with black interior at one of my local JYs that I've been harvesting parts for my next project from. The steering wheel was not in mint condition, it looked good enough for me but the buttons were nasty and at least one of them felt like it didn't work so that would be the nail in the coffin if I were looking for a wheel.

Also something that I know my mom's 1997 Explorer steering wheel suffers from is buttons that wear out and can no longer push the switch on the circuit board. The buttons seem to be made out of the same crap plastic that the odometer gears are made of on the 90+ panthers. The "peg" on the back of the button wears down and can no longer push the button on the circuit board. Every Explorer that my dad and I found at the local yards had the same problem. Does anyone know if the mid-late 90s panther wheels have the same problem? It may be something to consider before doing a steering wheel swap.
                        Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                        ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                        ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Interesting. My 1997 town car has a burlwood wheel from a 2001 town car.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                          1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                          1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                          2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                          2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
                            I forgot about the '95-'97 Town Cars, lol. That should work, too.

Would you like me to keep an eye out down here for a black one? I seem to get lucky every so often with my junkyard.
                            I appreciate the offer, but I think I'd want to look at it first to make sure it would fit. I'd hate to get someone to pull one, only to find out I'd wasted their time and my money on something that doesn't even fit

Comment

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
                              You can only use a 2005-2011 Panther wheel in your Crown Vic. Ford redesigned the column for '05 which added that new wheel, so none of the older wheels fit and other Ford models used different mounting styles. You could try finding a leather wrapped wheel or a Town Car wheel with wood grain, since those are about your only other options.
                              Leave it to ford to use a different mount style...
                              Thanks for the info, at least that will limit where I need to look in when roaming the yards.

Alex.

Comment

Working...
                              X