Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

90 Town Cr with leaking evaporator...how to replace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

90 Town Cr with leaking evaporator...how to replace?

Hi Guys,

I have a leaking evap core on my 90 Town car...save part number as the box panthers and it looks the same under hood as my 84 wagon. Any trick on replacing this? It looks like the heater hoses, fan motor and maybe inner fender liner might have to come out?

Anyone done this before or have a shop manual handy?

Thanks!!
    1984 Mercury Colony Park Wagon - gone to the darkside. 5.3 LS Turbo Swap with 4L80E. 6.62@106 in the 1/8 mile (low 10's in the 1/4), full weight, AC, no compromises! Rocky Mountain Race Week 2020 and Race Week 2.0 2020

Just fyi for anyone reading this later - i found some instructions on the web...basically the evap core is in the black box under the hood against the firewall on the passenger side. remove the right front wheel and the wheel well liner, undo all of the bolts attaching it the to the firewall and it's out.
    1984 Mercury Colony Park Wagon - gone to the darkside. 5.3 LS Turbo Swap with 4L80E. 6.62@106 in the 1/8 mile (low 10's in the 1/4), full weight, AC, no compromises! Rocky Mountain Race Week 2020 and Race Week 2.0 2020

Comment

Cool. The only person I've ever known to replace an evaporator in one of these is Scott. Most of the rest of us with working AC still run the original as far as I know. Not a task I have any experience doing. Doesn't sound like its all that horrible though, which is a relief.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Much easier than a heater core, but still involved.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Pull the wheel well. And unbolt. They're not that bad. And they're the same from 79-2012 for the replacement procedure.

Comment

Hi Gadget73

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
            Cool. The only person I've ever known to replace an evaporator in one of these is Scott.
            You now know two people as I have replaced three of them

Regards

Dereck
            President and founder of The Turbine Wheel Appreciation Society and Little Debbie Cake Connoissuer

Also "The Pondside Pain In Your Posterior"

Comment

Wellthen. Were they actually bad? I believe the one Scott changed was a "make it all new" sort of thing, not because it was actually leaking. Mine, much to my amazement, is fine. its the only original part of the AC system on the car.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Hi Gadget73

Yep all three were bad and all three were leaking in the same place at the joint just under the orifice tube where the pipe joins the core matrix.

Regards

Dereck
                President and founder of The Turbine Wheel Appreciation Society and Little Debbie Cake Connoissuer

Also "The Pondside Pain In Your Posterior"

Comment

Originally posted by Dereck View Post
                  Hi Gadget73

Yep all three were bad and all three were leaking in the same place at the joint just under the orifice tube where the pipe joins the core matrix.

Regards

Dereck
                  My experience was the same - leak was at the bottom where the long lower pipe connects to the evap core. I spent a lot of extra time sealing up the box with silicone (not the drain!) and putting on new heat reflection material. Didn't really make any difference. I recharged with R12 and my 84 wagon is still colder? who knows...everything on this Town Car is brand new as the previous owner replaced the condenser, compressor, accumulator and all lines. (and orifice tube).

Comment

Working...
                  X